Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was at my lfs ,and i am friends with the owner,and he was showing me all the rbps he had just gotten in. he then showed me another tank with 2 tiny babies in it . thier fins were nipped up but healty looking otherwise he asked if i wanted them he was afraid they would die. so of course i took them . they are in a 30 gal tank in my daughters room they are house with 3 rosey tetra,and a rosey barb. i will have to move the p's soon ...... how big do they need to be before i can put them with my 3 4"rbp's, or will this never work out

·
Registered
247 Posts
It can work out eventually. Make sure they are close to the same size, maybe 3". Feed them well so they will grow fast. Doing frequent water changes will also help.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Congrats on the pick up. Free reds are the best reds!

Anyway, the closer in size they are the better chance of living they will have. Remember that below 5" pygo are VERY cannibalistic After they breach that size they seem to calm down and coexist much better. As stated, frequent feedings, frequent and large water changes will help them grow. Good luck, their fins will heal in no time.

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
there can be quite a differance in size when house together. It is not recomended, but whenever they are able to fight for themselves, you can put them with the others. About 3" I would say. I have a great diff in size between my biggest tern(they grow hella fast) and my piraya. The piraya is 3.5" and the tern is 6.5". It can be done, but only in a huge tank, and there is still quite a risk.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I tried a 2" with 3-4" once. Think it lasted about 10 secs. I'd wait to 3", as people say here. A 3" pygo is quite a lot bigger than a 2".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts