Piranhas Forum banner

just curious

685 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  mort 
#1 ·
i do not mean to butt heads with anyone here especially because u all have p's and i dont. regardless my ? is why would anyone want to try and mix fish with no teeth with ones that hunt in groups with teeth i think the outcome is pretty obvious. instead of trying to mix other fish with p's later on when the tank has already got established territories. everyone here is agreeing that nothing is a good safe tank mate with these awesome predators so i ask why ? teeth no teeth?????

#2 ·
We do this just to see what the outcome would be such as a white big oscar compared to a brown tiger oscar. The brown one was still alive the white one lasted a night. You see a fish, you want it so you have to have a tank. ehh I am trying to make sence this my opinion.

#3 ·
"The impossible can be denied". Some members of PFury have the stripes to say that it can be done and proved it. Another thing is that we're "hobbyists". And as true hobbyists, we try to find different methods to see what will and wont work from Ps, to food, equipments, species and breeding. Just like they say.. "you'll never know unless you try."

#4 ·
Part of the game being a tankowner(especially with P's), is to push the limits and see what goes or not....

You could start a tank and fill it with Tetras or something(whats the fun in that?!?), but if so i dont think you would post in this forum...

Let the discussion begin..

#5 ·
I wanted to and succeeded in keeping lots of other fish in my redbelly tank, and even though some of the tank mates disappear occasionally, I rather spend some extra cash, and have my tank a little more lively. Piranha's aren't really the most active of fish, and adding some tetra's or cories spices it up a little. In the wild piranha's share their habitat with other fish, and they do not blindly attack each and every fish they come across, so why not mimick this situation a little in a home aquarium (I know you can't compare wild and tank environment, but you get the idea...).
I prefer keeping tank mates with my piranha's, and have done so quite succesfully (some of the dithers are in there for 11 months now), imo it's money well spent! Not everyone is willing to spend money on fish that will eventually disappear, but I do, and many others with me.

Oh, and by the way: most piranha tank mates I have are tetra's, and they do have teeth

#6 ·
misunderstand me right

I also love mixing species in my tank, just check out my tank below. But i see no fun in have only 1 kind of fish(ex tetras) in the tank, especially in bigger tanks.

I have tried all kinds of fish in my tank, and right now are there, tetras, cichlides, sharks, plecos who are living "perfect" sidebyside with my 5 RBPs. Of course some of them get eaten, but thats just part of the fun.

I also try to buy the fish where i know they have good, healthy ones. There are quite a few risks in mixing/changing fish often. So be aware...

#7 ·
as far as I can tell, mixing piranhas is not too commen, however it sometimes can and does work out well.
I have had a severum with my piranhas since the day I got them 1 year ago, but in some tanks it would only last a few seconds.
It largely depends on the personalitys of the fish.

#9 ·
RhomZilla said:
"The impossible can be denied". Some members of PFury have the stripes to say that it can be done and proved it. Another thing is that we're "hobbyists". And as true hobbyists, we try to find different methods to see what will and wont work from Ps, to food, equipments, species and breeding. Just like they say.. "you'll never know unless you try."
Well put Rhomzilla! I totally agree. Experimentation is probably a big reason a lot of us own p's. I mean, why else would we pay so much for such a fine specimen of a fish. We want to see how it lives, what it can live with, what it will kill, how it acts, how it reacts. This is the reason we keep them. It is only natural to try and liven up the environment with other fish to observe how the p's will take it. The problem is that nature and the aquarium are polar opposites and more often than not, the predator will kill the prey in the aquarium becasue they are in such close quarters as compared to nature. I support this type of experimentation and am really impressed by Judazzz's success and plan on asking him some questions once i get my 125g up and running.

-mike

#10 ·
:nod: thank u all for your honesty and like i said i am not here to butt heads i just wasn't aware that oscars and piranha lived in the same waters in the wild i mean i am new to the hobby myself and if i go puttin three red bellies in my 55 i would like my oscar to co exhist but if it is a 50/50 situation i will just leave the p's in there when i get them with some fast tropicals giant danio's maybe also have any of u had any success with african cichlids i know they are territorial so i am just askin? but again thanx for the replies and sorry so long.

#11 ·
Check out the "Original Mouse Video". There is a Tiger Oscar successfully living with those 6 rbp in a 55g aquarium and did so until it died recently of Hole in the Head disease at around 12 inches (the p's are around 9" now i think). The oscar was in with the P's from the time they were all babies and lived together for life. It is a roll of the dice man, but it is fun to experiment. I wouldnt try it with a fish you might be attached to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.