Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought 2 Red Bellies and had not been aware of some of the things that these fish needed. Right now they are in an empty tank but im going tomorrow to get plants, dimmer light etc. I had a couple of small comets in there for about a week before i introduced them two days ago. They have yet to eat them, will this change after the change in the environment is made?

·
Registered
880 Posts
imnew said:
I just bought 2 Red Bellies and had not been aware of some of the things that these fish needed. Right now they are in an empty tank but im going tomorrow to get plants, dimmer light etc. I had a couple of small comets in there for about a week before i introduced them two days ago. They have yet to eat them, will this change after the change in the environment is made?
[snapback]946320[/snapback]​
ummmmm what r u asking?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The_Spoot said:
Well if you just got them probably not man. Fish go into shock when they're transported.
[snapback]946339[/snapback]​
So are you saying they are not gonna eat and die from starving?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
dude they prob wont die from starvin.... don't quote me on this but most fish in the home aquirum setting die from disease & poor tank conditions you might try other types of food. i sugguest you look in the feeding and nutriotion section.

how big is your tank?

i've heard its not good to have 2. i would add a 3rd. to keep aggression down.

Good Luck and WELCOME

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dr Exum said:
dude they prob wont die from starvin.... don't quote me on this but most fish in the home aquirum setting die from disease & poor tank conditions you might try other types of food. i sugguest you look in the feeding and nutriotion section.

how big is your tank?

i've heard its not good to have 2. i would add a 3rd. to keep aggression down.

Good Luck and WELCOME

[snapback]946374[/snapback]​
I thought that 29g might be too small for 3. And if i add a third will the first two be aggressive towards it?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
First off, your gonna need a bigger tank eventually.

Second, your going to need a third piranha in there. Things may be good right now in your tank, but all hell is going to break loose one of these days.

·
Registered
403 Posts
sigh.... RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH. Havent been around here that long, and dont know everything about piranhas. Just wish people would give more thought before buying them. When kept right piranhas are one of the most interesting and beautiful pets you could own. Far too many I fear never make it long enough to be interesting due to poor planning and lack of knowledge.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
cooldudectd said:

Second, your going to need a third piranha in there. Things may be good right now in your tank, but all hell is going to break loose one of these days.
[snapback]946729[/snapback]​
not necessarily, many people have kept 2 p's together successfully as been discussed numerous times on this forum...

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
outlook8 said:
cooldudectd said:

[snapback]946729[/snapback]​
not necessarily, many people have kept 2 p's together successfully as been discussed numerous times on this forum...
[snapback]948389[/snapback]​

I had two for a while, the bigger guy nipped but that was all.

I would say you need a bigger aquarium and if you buy another p then you will want to take the other two out and rearrange the tank and then introduce all three of them at once.

Also this forum has a vast amount of information in it and the search tool is a good place to start to find answers to your questions. Good luck to keeping ps and welcome to the forum

·
Banned
11,729 Posts
you'll need a bigger aquarium just for 2. 29 is barely suitable for 1. i'd say within 6 months you'll have to upgrade to either a 40 breeder or a 55, that will be suitable for life.

2 piranhas can be kept together. problems come when people have one already and then get another one and put it in the tank. its even more of a problem when they're several inches in length. babies that grow together can live together in the same tank. mine do. i had two in a 40 but one died from disease and the other now remains. they rarely fought, the only time when they were really aggressive toward each other is when they were babies. which is quite common. you could try a tank seperator if they fight too much. i have to say hold off on a third p unless you're going to transfer them all to a bigger tank within the month. have fun. next time do a little research.
at least you havent insanely overstocked your tank(for now) like so many others.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have 2 black rhoms that i keep together, they are now 8" and 10". People have told me they wouldn't work but I havn't had any probs except a nipped fin here and there. They are only 2 ps in their tank.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts