Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELLO EVERYONE,
HELLO AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL.
I CURRENT HAVE 4 PANELS OF GLASS FROM A STANDARD 75 GAL FRONT,BACK AND 2 SIDES.
WHAT I'DE LIKE TO DO IS JOIN ALL 4 PANELS TO MAKE THE FRONT AND USE PLYWOOD {WATERPROOFED] FOR SIDES,BACK AND BOTTOM.
DOES ANYONE KNOW IF I SHOULD USE SOMETHING IN BETWEEN EACH PANEL OF GLASS TO JOIN THEM,ORWILL JUST BUTTTING THE PANELS TOGETHER WITH SILICONE WILL HOLD THEM?
I DONT REALLY WANT TO DISRUPT THE FRONT VIEWING PANEL WITH ANYTHING IF I CAN GET AWAY WITH IT.
I PLAN ON PUTTING THE OUTER EDGES OF THE GLASS UP IN A GROOVE ALL ALONG THE PANELS,TOP,SIDES AND BOTTOM ,LIKE IN A PICTURE FRAME AND AT EVERY UNION OF PANELS ILL RUN A BRACE ACROSS THE TOP TO THE BACK ,TOP AND BOTTOM SO IT WONT BUCKLE AT THE PANEL UNION.
JUST HOPING I CAN GET SOME INPUT HERE.
IVE GOT 13 LARGE CARIBE AND PIRAYA THAT ARE ALL GETTING A BIT CRAMPED AND NASTY IN A 135,THE 2FT TANK SHOULD BE GREAT FOR THEM.
IF IT ALL WORKS OUT ILL TRY TO BREED WHAT I HAVE NOW FOR THE CHALLENGE.
WHAT VOLUME OF WATER WOULD THIS BE?
12FT LONG BY 2FT HIGH,BY 3FT WIDE?

HOW MANY GALLONS WOULD THIS BE AND HOW MUCH WILL IT WEIGH?

THANK EVERYONE FOR YOUR TIME AND HELP.
HAPPY NEW YEAR,
JIM

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_...d_aquarium3.php here is a good diy plywood/glass tank article. i would not use the panels fo glass from the 75, as they are too thin for a tank of 2' tall.
also, go to www.garf.org and go to the diy file and click diy tank. taht site is awesome.
a tank of that isze will be 540 gallons. although i would highly reccomend not making a tank of that magnitude in plywood. a cement tank is much better suited for that size.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts