Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys i have been slacking on getting some more tankmates for my two JD's

Im pretty sure i have one male and a female. They are living the life in a 135 gallon tank 8ft long about 16-18 inches wide

they are in tehre with a common pleco and alot of deco.

Heres the main concern. One of my Jd's just chills in one corner of the tank at the corner of one of the AC500 filters and at the bottom of the same corner all day except when its feeding time.

the other JD is fine, swims around etc

I think they need some tank mates but i really need some guidance here. Im going to change around the deco maybe and hopefully get some more fish.

Oscar? how many ?

Green terror?

what other cichlids . CA ones most likely correct?

im a real slacker and need some good advice. I have been keeping piranhas for a few years so im not new to fish keeping.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Actually oscars usually go together well with JDs given enough space. Just find an oscar bigger than your Jds, but not so big as to eat them. A green terror would be nice as well. Plenty of room for and oscar or GT, and a fleet of dithers.

·
Banned
14,902 Posts
in short, welcome to the mysterious world of the jack dempsey. your jd that does nothing is just fine. i also have two jd's and they are opposites. both healthy, both well off in their tanks. just different. the best way to spark activity in the jd is tank mates but the right ones. convicts work well, oscars work wonderfuly and barbs tend to keep active enough to bring a shy jd out of his shell. however, there is nothing wrong with an inactive jd. each one is different which is why you often see jd's selling for dirt cheap and why i see lots of asdult jd's for sale lately. people grow inpatient. just have some patience and try some decor changing or some tank mates stated above. in any case he may remain stubornly shy.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
You can keep other cichlids with jds as long as those cichlids arent extremely aggressive i.e. a red devil. About the jd not being very active, dont worry about it, i had a jd who would spend all of his time in a tiki head i had in the tank.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
one of my JD's is the same way and it got nothing to due with the mates I think if u look at my signature..but the other one is active...Yeah I think an Oscar, maybe some Firemouth cichlids they get to 6" and the females are smaller they come from Mexico, Yuctan, and Guatemala or some Blue Acara they get up to 8" but smaller for the most part they come from Colombia, Panama, Trinidad and Venezuela and they are pretty peaceful Rainbow Cichlid they get up to 5" they come from Costa Rica, Nicaragua and Panama..there pretty peaceful..I know the Green Terrors get 12" and for the most part are Territorial get ret real beautiful when they get bigger and come from Ecuador and Peru..Sevrums get about 8"...but it all depends what ur looking for aggresion or whatever....either way...man I wrote alot.....lets us know what u decide...good luck

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i moved the two JD's into my 75 and picked up 2 breeding reds and added them along with my other 2 reds to the 135gallon.

i redecorated the75 and i might go with some firemouths and rainbows or the blue acara that face was talking about. This tank is at the foot of my bed and i want to get some color in this tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts