Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
her is my Jack... the pics kind of brightened him up and made him look a little duller, but here they are anyways:

see the little gold sev to the left

---
please ignore the water stains on the glass

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
the flash makes the colours a bit off... He is a bright brilliant blue speckled monster as compared to the more greenish picture when the flash light is on...

·
Beautiful One
8,799 Posts
very pretty

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
nice - I want to see that fish in the non-piranha POTM comp

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
I know how JD's are.. used to have one myself. One of my Fav Cichlid with RDs, Manag's, Flower H and Butterkof's

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
nice..anybody ever own a five star general..nice and mean..very nice too

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Innes said:
nice - I want to see that fish in the non-piranha POTM comp
you want to enter these pics, or do you want to clean your tank and get a new pic specially for the competition - you have untill the 28th to get your entry in

·
rhombeus
3,659 Posts
nice pic snow
how big is that JD? and what can you put in a tank with him, because i do like them too!!

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
I love jacks... I wish my 9 inch monster at home did not have a torn dorsal...I was at the lfs today, picking up bio-spira to get my 30 cube ready for the flowerhorn... and i couldnt help looking at the JDs... I found one that was just inrecredible, i couldnt leave without getting him.. he is one inch and was terrorizing every other fish in the tank. He already has prodiment red on his fins and i might have to keep this guy for the long hall being that he is such a good specimen. When picking out dempseys i believe its best to go with ones who are not displaying dark body tones but whole have dark spotting. The dark spotting indicates good health, and the light body shows that he is not stressed at all.. this guy though he was just a little bad ass, and is fearless of anything... all the others were dark. He has been attacking his reflection ( i got a cool ass picture) and my finger all afternoon!

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
Based on my observations of my own little Dempsey, who I got at 1.5" and has since gone to 3.5" over the 3 months ive had him, dark coloration is the coloration used when in Aggressive mode, and light coloration indicates fright and stress.

He is the undisputed dominant fish in my 55g cichlid tank, and when cruising about he is constantly dark. When I do water changes and remove all the decorations from the aquarium, robbing him of his desired hiding places (he never purposely shows himself when he knows I or any other person is near the tank, always hides and won't come out for 10 minutes or so till he thinks everyone has left) he is a very light color.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He is slightly over 5" now and is living peacefully with a large green severum, belly crawler pike (that sticks to her big cave) and a small baby gold severum and a pleco

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Well they do tend to blend with their surroundings too... I used to have a dark green plant and my bigger guy would match it when he was little... but now he is a pinkish color with baby blue scales... Im trying to get my hands on a EBJD breeder. The ones that a half Electric Blues and Half JDs are the most valuable dempseys... really cool looking too

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah blue dempseys look pretty cool, but the only diff is that they are less aggresive, almost peaceful, and they reach about 2" less in length or so
still look great though

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
piranha45 said:
they only reach 2"??? seriously?? How could such a fish be related to a Dempsey, then?
not t2" ... 2" less than the regular JD
so if one was 8" then the other would be 6"

1 - 20 of 24 Posts