Piranhas Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just was wondering how everyone one here at P-Fury got started in the fish "hobby". What tank? What fish? What's your worsest fish related accident?

Here is my story. I got a used 10g in 1997. I had a betta and a bunch of tetras in it. That lasted until last October when I got a oscar. Then last Xmas I got my 30g. The oscar went into the 30g, then my 55g. Thats when I got my first P. He is still in the 30g until the little guys grow up a bit. Recently I got my 90g(2 oscars and lots of misc. fish) and my 65g. The 65g is what my 3 P's will end up in. Hopefully the 55g will become a salt tank. My worsest accident is the recent one where my 30g fell to the floor after it's stand collapsed.

But all is well now, including my red that was in the 30g at the time.

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
I got my first fish in college...long time ago...2 reds in a 30 gallon. I killed them by poor water quality. I think this is what has motivated me to learn all I can to keep my fish as healthy and happy as possible.

·
Truffle shuffle!!!!!!!
18,670 Posts
my mother came home one day with 2 reds and 3 pacus so iwent out and bought a tank and went on the internet to find out about them.i found that pacus are dum and ugly (they are)and i loved the reds .thats why i got rid of the pacus and picked up 3 reds yesterday

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've been keeping fish for like 25 years. My parents brought home a goldfish in a bowl, and it wasn't enough. Within a month or two I got two 10 gallon community tanks going. I didn't get into predatory fish for another 7 years, which is when I got my first piranha (and a green terror at the same time).

I'm not one of the piranha gurus around here, though. I've kept fish for many many years but never had the tank space (that I was willing to set aside anyway) to keep a good size school of P's long term.

Oh how is this for fish geek... I met my wife-to-be at the LFS, where we both worked together.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I got my first tank around 20 years ago as a kid. I had comunity fish. Tiger barbs, cherry barb, a Redtail Shark (Don't know why but it's still one of my fav fishes or minnows, I guess) and a few others I can't remember in a 29G.

I killed them all within a couple weeks or so.

I overfed them so much because I thought they weren't eating enough because all the food kept going to the bottom. (Flake food) I went thru a whole can of flake food in less than a week and noone ever told me about feeding or even cleaning the gravel. I was so upset that they all died and couldn't understand what I did until I took the tank down. There was so much flake food in the gravel that I couldn't even see the water when I stirred it up.

I was really bummed that I killed something that I was supposed to be taking care of.

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
On and off for about 8 years. I range from 90 dollar fancy goldfish to meat eating piranhas. It all started from a 10g tank to keep me busy and now evolutionized to the most addictive/expensive hobby i ever had. I had too many bad experience i dont know where to start. I can say, the uglest experience i had was my fancy goldfish that devloped a dead infection or something. They bubbly head started rotting then melting away but the day. Looks soo nasty. Whenever he swims across the tank stuff would float out of the bubbly head area. Eventually it died from a rotten head. Then i got so sick of watching when it died i didnt want to change the tank and i left it in there for 2 months and things gor really bad. Eventually i threw the whole tank and fish away. I didnt even want to touch it. EwWwwWwWw

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
I had a 10 gallon when I was reall little, but I can bearly remember it. I think it only had goldfish in it and only a little bubble filter. but my first serious tank was a 55 gallon a couple years ago, I also got a 29 gallon at the same time. I killed off a lot of fish during the cycleing process because I didn't know anything about it. I also had 2 large red bely piranha's in the 29 gallon that died within a week.it sucked big time. ever since loosing my first piranha's I was determined to learn more,I joined a crappy little measage board and got some decent infomation and eventually joined a couple beter boards and really learned a lot about fish keeping. and here I am now.

·
Beautiful One
8,799 Posts
I have had a fish ever since I could remember not really exotic pretty goldfish a beta then for awhile I didn't have any then Kev got me back into fish and now I am working on making fish my living and I am learning each day how to take care of them and recently I have picked up the salt industry and will be learning along the way to that I can't wait to get my clownfish , by the way finding nemo rocks

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
think mine started with winning a goldfish AKA feeder at a carnival or something, but that dont count. I started with angel fish when I was like 12, I think. Nice tat nitro, still fresh huh? Looks good

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I started out about a yr ago with a 55g with 3 dime sized reds. Raised them to about 5" then traded them in. I have been housing various cichlids since then. I wil probably be setting up a cariba tank this summer though.

mark

·
Registered
491 Posts
I got started when my gramps gave me an old skool tank. The fish I put in there got these little white spots on their bodies and I didn't know what they were (Ich). I went on the internet to find it out and I never stopped looking up info.

·
Registered
829 Posts
i used to have a tank when i was a kid, i actually kept some pretty cool fish for not knowing sizzy about them... i had newts, the reg gold fish, and also had 2 turtles... fish kept dying, probably from bad water or something, but my turtles were doing well... then one day my dad sold them on me, becasue he didnt want to get a bigger tank

then i was out of fish keeping for some time, and then about a year an a half ago, i moved in with a couple people who had oscar tanks... got me thinking about them old times... I knew at this point i wanted pred fish, but i didnt want oscars becasue they already had them.... so piranha it was! only reds now, but trying to get my hands on different types!

only real story, i got other then my crawfish constantly getting out of tanks, and drying up, would be way back when i first had fish. i had guppies, they had babies, seemed like hundreds, and i remember moving the tank over a bit or something, and water splashing out of it... i was finding baby guppy skeletons everywhere for weeks after that!!!

·
Registered
242 Posts
I've had a few fish before, but never anything like my p's until 6 months ago. I had some spare change and went in to actually buy a red tiger oscar. As soon as I passed the tank of reds and watched them feed, I was hooked. They are just so damn intelligent and they live very long, they are beautiful and aggressive, it is nature and evolution at it's finest. A perfectly envisioned killing machine.

I started with a 10 gal and an ac150 + 80 watt heater.

3 weeks later, a 40 gallon with an300 and 200 watt heater.

2 weeks later, a 55 gallon with ac300 and profile 9500 pump, etc. 200 watt heater and back up 150 watt that only comes on when temp goes below 76.

Now have a 160 gallon, just need to buy powerheads, filters, another heater, rocks, all that good stuff.

Oh, god....................I'm hooked are'nt I

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
my freind was given a tank 125 gal with everything fish decor filters the works and whilst sitting in his house getting pissed i could not stop myself watching them.
my friends work mate was selling a full set up tank stand and equiptment but it had 4 reds with it so i bought the lot @ $65 with reds and that was the start .i found pred fish web site and checked out the info for a week before picking up my new tank and was hooked on p's this was @ 3 years ago .
i sold the 4 after about 8 months and bought babies .5'' and started a fresh then bought a 55 gal once they got bigger and now have 1 piraya and 2 reds and will get another tank 84 gal in 2 weeks.
i have never really had any problems as such so nothing to report
dixon

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
at first i got fish when i was 7, with a 10g tetra community aquarium.
Then my parents bought me a 55g, that had gouramis and tetras.
Then one day in 6th grade when i was 12, my lfs got these fish called "pacu" in. I was like OMG! PIRANHA! I couldnt figure out why it was such a timid nice-mannered fish, though

I went out and bought a piranha book immediately thereafter. Prolly read that thing front-to-end 50 times literally.
I got my lfs to special order me 3 1-inch Serrasalmus Notatus (yeah, this was in like 95, lol), the fish now known as Caribes.
They shredded many a goldfish and crayfish. When they hit about 3 inches tho, having had them only 3 months, a freak cold spell hit one night, and they were in their outside tank, and their heater broke. They froze to death

I quit the hobby for a while after that, then got back into it 2 years ago, then quit a year ago, and now just got back into it 4 months ago. I'm NOT quitting the hobby this time either!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.