Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi

I've got 5 Red Bellies.

I've also got another tank with smaller freshwater fish. One of the "giant danios" in there, died. It's kind of got a red sore on its under-belly ( see here: http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/5171/dead003qw9.jpg )

Is it safe to feed my dead fish to piranhas? I don't actually know why the danio died, the other ones look fine. (I suspect its the new shrimp pellets I got for my dwarf frog, it might have eaten it and it expanded in its stomach.. dunno).

I believe piranhas "should" be safe with stuff like this, as they're scavengers out in the wild.

Opinions?

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
well if it died for an unknown reason, and has something on the belly, i wouldnt try feeding it to your p as for it could have maybe parasites, which could have caused death....wouldnt recommend feeding it to your p's

·
Registered
775 Posts
Hi

I've got 5 Red Bellies.

I've also got another tank with smaller freshwater fish. One of the "giant danios" in there, died. It's kind of got a red sore on its under-belly ( see here: http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/5171/dead003qw9.jpg )

Is it safe to feed my dead fish to piranhas? I don't actually know why the danio died, the other ones look fine. (I suspect its the new shrimp pellets I got for my dwarf frog, it might have eaten it and it expanded in its stomach.. dunno).

I believe piranhas "should" be safe with stuff like this, as they're scavengers out in the wild.

Opinions?
Yeah if you're danio died for unknown reasons I would DEFINITELY NOT feed it to your ps. It could contain parasites, which could have been the reason it died. Then again, it could have been the shrimp pellets, either way, I wouldnt risk it. I would not feed it to them because your piranhas could get the disease and die as well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I'm not gonna risk it. I don't think there are any parasites in the 20 gal tank (danios, neons, betta, molly, pleco, guppy, frog), but they're cheapo fish, and not worth harming my P's.

Thought I'd ask what you guys thought though.

Thanks ^^

·
Registered
89 Posts
in one of my books about pirahanas it talks about a parasite that sticks to fish like ticks. that thing on your daino looks just like the one in my book. put it under a microscope if you can.

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
I'm glad you decided to follow the advice and not feed it to your piranhas.

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts
Absoultly one of the worst possible things you can do.
Do not feed that fish to your p's if you value your P's any bit.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
you have to think about this, pygos in the wild eat much food that we do not give them
other nutriences are missed as a fish keeper that keeps the fish health.
we as fish keepers give our fish food that is good for them, but miss alot of
other foods that are needed in their diet, plants other types of fish etc.
so they are not guarded when fed a a diseased fish.

we are the same, read the book on taoism, it will give some insight on what i mean

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
Good rule of thumb:
If you even have to wonder for a second whether or not it should be fed to your fish, then don't.

Then post the question here. (Like you did.)

Bravo for caring enough to ask.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts