Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this picture on another site, topic title was Serrasalmus Brandtii Cohabitation.
Is this possible? What is your opinio about this.

· Danse Macabre!
9,834 Posts
It IS possible because one member here has his tank set up as such, however one thing to note is that he had his tank set up at 75 degrees fahrenheit. You've gotta keep in mind that the ideal temperature for piranhas is much closer to 80-82 fahrenheit so what he's doing is keeping his water cold to keep his fish inactive. Now for me, setting your tank temperature well below what it SHOULD be so that your fish are sluggish and lazy and therefore don't attack each other is hardly good fish keeping but that's a matter of ethics. Most people who have tried to co-habitate their brandtis or any other serras under proper and healthy tank conditions have had little to no success doing so, but if you were going to try you could follow that method and keep your tank temperature at an unhealthy level to increase your odds of success.

· Skankzilla
16,305 Posts
Also you're gonna have to keep them well fed, I was reading his site and one day he missed the normal feeding time and took a nap, and lost a fish in one pygo colony. He has quite a few interesting ideas, some people will agree with them and som disagree. Just because he did it, does not mean you can do it.

I'd say if you try that, (other people other than alan have and have been successful), I would say, big tank, lots of hiding spacies, good amount of plants to provide cover. Feed daily, maybe twice a day and get rid of extra food that is left over. Have an open hospital tank.

Most people will disagree and say don't do this. Read up on it, read everything that he did and then see if you can recreate what he did. Also, if you have the money, then do what you want.

Also the temperature thing, lower tempature should be less active. Yes, but one thing you gotta think of is the temperature change daily of up to 20 degrees. So 75 really wouldn't be punishing or hurting the fish. Personally though, I keep my tank at 79-80.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.