Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok heres the result of my current parameters
ph= 7.4-7.6(tested both high range and low range ph)
gh= 10 Dgh
kh= 3 Dkh
amm= 0 ppm
no2= 0 ppm
no3= 10 ppm

my water source reading are

ph= 7.6
gh= 8 Dgh
kh= 4 Dkh

· Nurses Do It Better
8,819 Posts
Your KH is low. You will have to add a buffer if you plan on a group of p's. For a solitary p i don't see a problem. Weekly water change should be sufficient. For a group your ph will fluctuate therefore the cheapest way to buffer imo is arm and hammer baking soda. Other option is to use for a substrate such as crushed coral (aragonite formula). Whatever you do get a ph test kit and check frequently till your comfortable with your maintenance schedule.

· Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my fish seems to like the water. I do pretty much frequent water changes like 10% a day plus i'll be transferring him to 50 gal soon this weekend with couple plecos thats being quarantine. Well why isn't good for shoals and ok with solitary fish? What kind of effect will it do to my fish and to my water?

· Slim Diggler
1,868 Posts
I just tested my water and the

PH= 6.4
Temperature=82
ammonia=2.5 p.p.m
nitrite= .05 p.p.m

Ok I have a couple of questions, First how do I get my ammonia down?
And is my nitrite alright or no?
what about my Ph level?

If none of these are alight please post it so I know what to do to get them at the right levels please?

Im also very color blind some some of them might be off just a little. I got someone elses opinion on the nitrite and that is right.

What do I do to get them right?

· Registered
797 Posts
Nitrite and ammonia should both be at zero. This is why your piranhas just sit around.

Have someone look at the ammonia one and make sure.

The fact that you have ammonia and nitrite in your water says that there is not enough bacteria in your filters, or your filters are not large enough. What is your current filter set up?

· Nurses Do It Better
8,819 Posts
fliptasciouz said:
my fish seems to like the water. I do pretty much frequent water changes like 10% a day plus i'll be transferring him to 50 gal soon this weekend with couple plecos thats being quarantine. Well why isn't good for shoals and ok with solitary fish? What kind of effect will it do to my fish and to my water?
[snapback]863502[/snapback]​
With a group of p's your PH will fluctuate downward due to more acidity caused from their waste and the lack of carbonates to keep it stable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.