Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
he eats feeder guppies, goldfish and chicken heart. are all three ok for him. well hi im new and and new to piranhas. I own saltwater tanks and this is my first freshwater. also does anyone use black water extract. i am using it and i like how the tanks looks and jaws likes the tank to. he is in a 20 gallon temp tank until i move then he gets a 55 gallon. could i potential get him 2 more buddys for the 20 right now. there only 3-4 inches. quite small. When i get the 55 gallon i want 5 for in there.

·
Go Bucks!
3,164 Posts
I would feed a little different diet including beefheart, smelt, shrimp, and pellets if you can. 20 gallons would be small for 3 RBPs that are 3" and 5 is too many for a 55 gallon tank. I would go with 3 when you get the 55.

·
Beautiful One
8,799 Posts
I would go with beefheart,shrimp,salmon fillets,feeder.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I would take feeder almost completely out of their diet. Too much risk of parasites and Frank mentioned that they may be lacking many important nutrients.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
For the feedings i suggest you check out the tutorial I have posted in the tutorial section. You can add black water extract if you desire as well. I think you could possibly mange 5 reds in a 55 but may prove to be more difficult than 3. So if it is a new experience just stick with 3 reds, just as fun and not as much $
good luck :smile:

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
But more is so much more interesting? I'm in agreement with Sno though...a beginning hobbyist for piranhas if this statement applies to you should ease his/her way into the hobby. Spend some time here and on OPEFE to learn more about them that way you can properly care for them and know what to expect when having many piranha in the same tank.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
5 should be OK in a 55 gallon, but a bigger tank would be better, and as for the food, feeders come with a low nutritional value and a high risk of infection, but it is good to have a variety.
Blackwater is fine, but un-necessary

Oh, and welcome to the site, make yourself at home

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i do use black water and i like the tint it adds to it. i also put window tint on the glass the light sits on to darken it alittle more. i would use beef heart but my butcher was out so i got chicken

·
Registered
696 Posts
i still sit on the 75 gallon rule. A large piranha has no room to turn in a tank that is only 12" in width. A 75 gallon is 18" in width and makes a huge differeance. Your fish can swim if they need to and chase each other as well. I personally would save up the money for a 75 sp u dont buy a 55 gallon now, they out grow it in a while, and then u have to go out and buy a 75 or larger. Always think what is in the best interest of the fish in the long run.

·
Registered
696 Posts
oh and i would do 6 in a 75 gallon by the way.

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
Bcollins111900 said:
i still sit on the 75 gallon rule. A large piranha has no room to turn in a tank that is only 12" in width. A 75 gallon is 18" in width and makes a huge differeance. Your fish can swim if they need to and chase each other as well. I personally would save up the money for a 75 sp u dont buy a 55 gallon now, they out grow it in a while, and then u have to go out and buy a 75 or larger. Always think what is in the best interest of the fish in the long run.
I agree with BCollins here. Go with the 75 because you will want to upgrade eventually anyway!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts