Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My RB is about 2.5 inches and has been growing trendously in the month or so I got him when he was only the size of a quarter. Recently he's become a lot more skittish and will hide everytime anyone approaches the tank, I know this is normal but when noone is right near the tank he goes to the front and swims quickly from one side to the other. Is this normal? Thanks

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
yes especially by themselves..you should get two more if you have the room..they seem to be braver when they have others

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Very normal P behavior.

~Dj

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, he's in there with 2 other RB's but I got them a couple weeks later and they are about an inch or so smaller. Initially there was a little conflict but now they hang together perfectly, except when the large one decides to do laps.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Skittish at a young age, water checks, get more to shoal for them to have courage, turning heat up, have more traffic close to the tank, and minimizing ornaments in the tank are helpful ways.

·
Beautiful One
8,799 Posts
I would agree and add some more to your tank.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
im gonna buy some special mangrove colour thing to put in the tank to give the water a browner look to make them less shy, theyre always shy when the light is on but when its off its fights, disco, party, wrestling and so on

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
its wierd, in my experience red belly piranhas go through 3 stages in skittishness

as very small babies they arent very skittish

as small juveniles they are very skittish (skittishness increases)

as adults they are the least skittish (skittishness nearly disappears)

this is just a generalization but I find it ironic

the more you have in a shoal (if you have enough room) the lower the skittishness will be as well

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not wondering so much about the skittishness of the P I know that's normal but it's more the laps he likes to pull when he goes to the front of the tank and flies from one side to the other. At least he's getting his excersize.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Ekbor said:
im gonna buy some special mangrove colour thing to put in the tank to give the water a browner look to make them less shy, theyre always shy when the light is on but when its off its fights, disco, party, wrestling and so on
Are you talking about black extract?? They do help with some Ps.. others it dont. I would go with the water changes. Dont like the extract hindering me from seeing my boyz.

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Nothing to worry about!

Just get another Ps and he will get braver!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
i have 8 red bellies and they are around 6-8 cm and they are very cowardly and they dont even hunt the feeders i put in the tank

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
different p's have different personality but i do agree with nate all the reds i have owned wernt skittish when sml but between 3-5'' did get skittish and after @ 5-6'' seemed to get better some swam alot like the ones i have now and some did not do anything like the ones i just sold but they wernt skittish unless cleaning the tank etc.
my piraya which is 4'' goes to its fav spot when i get really close to the tank but swims about when i am a few feet away also smaller p's like to dart all my p's did this when small but once they added size stopped this
dixon

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.