Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
these cold eyes lock much wonder...
5,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bough 9 guppys for 99 cents each thats a steal around here think my tank is good enuff?

Attachments

·
^word
4,324 Posts
That is plenty. Guppies will breed in a nearly empty tank, parents do not eat them quite that readily.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Looks fine to me. Those are real plants right? If so they will provide lots of food (infusoria) for the babies.

·
5,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what you mean by lots of food (infusoria) >>>? guppy fry eat plants???and yup there real,,,wuz a max amout to keep in the 10g guppy tank?? i got 8 now can i add more?

·
Banned
14,902 Posts
thats more than enough for any guppy. guppys will breed in most any atmosphere, and will do fine in almost any numbers. you can really experiment with them since theyre so tolerant of eachother and are low waste producers in general. dont be affraid to add a few extra if you want. however like any fish make sure the diet and water are good. guppys dont require space like say a convict might but they also have their needs even if they are less

·
5,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
seems eazy enuff i guess

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
If they are live plants then all sorts of timy animals (infusoria) will live on and around them, such as rotifers, and ciliates. The babies will feed on these, and on foor dropping from the parent fish. Lots of live plants make raising fry very easy by providing cover and food. Guppies are already easy, but it can't hurt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infusoria

·
5,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
this (infusoria) idea seems like alot of work?? is anyone making this for there fry?? i my self have never herd of it ,,, what about hatching brin shrimp??? same thang?

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
No work, if you keep live plants, and enough of them, it is already there. Tanks with live plants are not static, things are alway in motion, life is living, dying, breeding, all in your live plant tank, and you don't even know it.

·
5,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
its all good than how many months ya think its gonna take befor i start see new fish?

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
If your guppies are near adults now, you may see some very soon. They usually come pregnant if they are near adults.

·
5,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yup i got all differant sizes and the oldest female looks swelled up how many days is it befor thay lay ??? and are there fry born live?

·
^word
4,324 Posts
A mature female guppy will always be gravid (pregnant). You can tell by the swelling and black spot near the anal fin. Poeciliids store sperm in there body, and will use it, there for minutes after giving birth they fertilize another batch. The gestation period should be about 2 weeks, and will yield about 12 or more fry.

At first, it will seem like its taking fooorevaaar to get the babies going, but one morning you are going to wake up and your tank will be filled with them. In my 45, I bought 5 guppies. Four months later it was solid fry.

I hope you know that in your 10 gallon, you are going to need to remove fry after a while, other wise your tank will crash. I had a 10 gallon guppy colony, it got up to about 200 guppies (mostly small) and I couldn't bring myself to feed them to the other fish. One morning they were all dead.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
451 Posts
i have a 10 g with guppies i have you 200 guppies in there and i started with only 3 guppies

1 - 15 of 15 Posts