Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Rodgers' Aquatics
2,538 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
240 Gallon Aquarium
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Filtration
[ 2 ] Rena Filstar XP3 Canister Filters
- 700 GPH Flow Rate
$ 200

Lighting
[ 4 ] 48" Fluorescent Shoplights With 8, 40 Watt Plant And Aquarium Bulbs
- 320 Watts Total
$ 80

Water Movement
[ 2 ] AC802 Powerheads
- 800 GPH Flow Rate
$ 60

Heating
[ 2 ] 300 Watt Rena Cal Top Light Excel
- 600 Watts Total
$ 50

Substrate
200 Pounds Of Flourite Seachem Substrate
200 Pounds Of Silica Sand Substrate On Top
$ 150

·
Peace....Through Superior Firepower
13,643 Posts
Andy1234 said:
instead of the canister filters id get several ac 500s or emp 400s cheaper
[snapback]908582[/snapback]​
I wouldnt ....

Then what would filter the bottom ?

Faded,
Keep the cannisters maybe add a few more , I just like to overfiltrate ...
Ex...
On my 210 gallon
2 Emp400
2 fluval 404's
2 Hot magnum's
I have even debated the idea of running another Fluval 304, but the water is Cristal and I dont think its needed ..
Thats just in filtration ...
If your not gonna use wet/dry system IMO, when dealing with tanks of this size its best you come over filtered on the other forms.

·
Registered
222 Posts
There's the american way of filtration=10x per hour through 15 oz. of media or the European way=2-3x per hour through 12 liters of media. As for me I think it's not the volume moving through a filter but more the amount of media exposed to that water. For the biological cycle the more media the better right? So I use 2 Eheim 2028's on a 300 gallon. All chemistries perfect. The setup you have should work fine.

·
Rodgers' Aquatics
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you think 1 wet/dry would be better than all of that? Or possibly 2 XP3's And 2 AC500/110s?

·
Peace....Through Superior Firepower
13,643 Posts
Faded said:
So you think 1 wet/dry would be better than all of that? Or possibly 2 XP3's And 2 AC500/110s?
[snapback]908927[/snapback]​
wet dry and the Xp's

·
Registered
222 Posts
Just start with what you have and keep up on regular water changes. Monitor the water chemitry and then add more filters as needed.

·
Rodgers' Aquatics
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats another thing? which parameter in my water chemistry will indicate i need more filters?

·
Registered
222 Posts
If I'm thinking straight waste is first turned into ammonia and then nitrites which are then turned into less harmful nitrates. If you are seeing an increase in either ammonia or nitrites, then you should probably boost your filter #'s.

·
Registered
59 Posts
MR HARLEY said:
Faded said:
[snapback]908927[/snapback]​
wet dry and the Xp's

[snapback]908939[/snapback]​
Look into DIY, there's shortcuts, old fish tank, couple pieces of plexiglass, shop for media, poof, a wet\dry.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I really like my Filstar, but you should be shooting turn over the volume of your tank about five times an hour with canisters. 240 gallons yields 1200 gallons per hour, so I'm afraid that 2 XP3's isn't enough. I'd go with a wet/dry. For $200, you could DIY a nice one, especially if you have an extra tank lying around unused. Otherwise, add an AC500 on top of thwe two XP3's.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
222 Posts
If you talk to a number of curators around the country. Like Belle Isle Aquarium in Detroit, Boston Aquarium etc. they will tell you that for larger freshwater tanks they don't really like wet/dry's. For saltwater the reverse is true. Eheim is known as the #1 filter for tanks. That's because they don't just turn over water, they use media with massive surface area that contains the bacteria to convert the waste in your tank. They also do it at a slower rate. Look up the flow rates on their filters and you will see that they are fairly low. That's the benefit. Tons of media with lower flow. Lower media needs tons of flow(AC500). My Eheims use only 25 watts of power per and are completely silent. Your XP's are knockoffs but will work the same. Don't fall into the trap of just turning over the water a billion times. That's just uneducated fish keepers listening to other uneducated fish keepers. Like a bad rumor it just keeps going. People laugh at how expensive the Eheim substrate is. I think I spent about 150 for mine but it's engineered to remove waste efficiently. Isn't it funny how many threads there are with people running 4 or 5 AC's and how they are always having to upgrade?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Faded said:
240 Gallon Aquarium
Filtration
[ 2 ] Rena Filstar XP3 Canister Filters
- 700 GPH Flow Rate
$ 200

Lighting
[ 4 ] 48" Fluorescent Shoplights With 8, 40 Watt Plant And Aquarium Bulbs
- 320 Watts Total
$ 80

Water Movement
[ 2 ] AC802 Powerheads
- 800 GPH Flow Rate
$ 60

Heating
[ 2 ] 300 Watt Rena Cal Top Light Excel
- 600 Watts Total
$ 50

Substrate
200 Pounds Of Flourite Seachem Substrate
200 Pounds Of Silica Sand Substrate On Top
$ 150
[snapback]908004[/snapback]​
Posting this all on P-Fury and starting a bunch of disagreements: priceless.

·
Rodgers' Aquatics
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lyle said:
You can also go with one titanium heater...cheaper, cleaner looking and safer...
[snapback]909407[/snapback]​
Where can i get a titanium heater? I'm supposed to have 720-1200 Watts Of Heating According To The P-Fury Information Calculators..Where the hell do I get a 1200 Watt Heater?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Faded said:
Lyle said:
You can also go with one titanium heater...cheaper, cleaner looking and safer...
[snapback]909407[/snapback]​
Where can i get a titanium heater? I'm supposed to have 720-1200 Watts Of Heating According To The P-Fury Information Calculators..Where the hell do I get a 1200 Watt Heater?
[snapback]910296[/snapback]​
i run one 300 watt in each of my wet-dry's, seems to work just fine

·
Rodgers' Aquatics
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so it is possible to put a heater inside a filter so it's not just hanging around in the tanks and being used as a punching bag for the piranhas?

I wondered if that was possible I don't like them in my tank..and I've got a Rena 300 Watt heater in my 200 gallon now, but according to the P-fury calculator I need 720-1200 Watts? what's that all about I'd need 4 of those bastards in there to get that and have a filter big enough to hold them all...this is going to be harder than i thought!

Someone just tell me what to do!

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
I have a 240 gal also.. and here's my specs.

(2) 300 gal rated sump powered by Honda JK powered by (2) Mag Drive 7 pond pumps.

(2) 250 watt heaters (tank is in room temp)

And an optional XP3 which I turn on/off depending on the how long my last water change was.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts