Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious if a xingu rhom is the same thing as a xingu gold rhom. If they're different can somebody point out the difference? Thanks.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
They're practically the same specie.. Xingus have gold coloring which some would just consider as the gold rhom.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
To tell you the truth, what I used to think was a Xingu is not what is labeled as a Xingu that is currently being sold. Here is a pic of a xingu that I thought was what xingus look like. Notice the almost ZERO red coloration around the gill area. very nice looking fish.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
This is what has been recently for sale as a xingu rhom. Notice there is more red coloration in the gill area. I have not seen a xingu rhom for sale like the first one in a few months. Perhaps Ron might have some as he has some fish for sale labeled as "gold xingu", but I would ask for pics first.

Hoped that helped,

~Dj

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Opps forgot to post the pic. LoL

·
Registered
571 Posts
InSinUAsian said:
To tell you the truth, what I used to think was a Xingu is not what is labeled as a Xingu that is currently being sold. Here is a pic of a xingu that I thought was what xingus look like. Notice the almost ZERO red coloration around the gill area. very nice looking fish.
i think the one im selling is considered the xingu rhom and the other type is called a diamond rhom.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
I got the first pic from this link on pfish:

http://www.predatoryfish.net/ibforums/inde...ST&f=16&t=20201

The fish that I posted a pic of belongs to a member named dovi. Another member named Hareball has a fish that is a little darker but is almost totally identical. I think that hareballs fish is a xingu. The posted pics are about 6 posts down. I dont really know too much about xingus. However, I do think that there might be to coloration varients.

~Dj

·
Registered
571 Posts
heres my hypothesis. both fish live in the xingu river however due to common names and what not one happened to be called the xingu rhom and another also.
if you look at rons website he names the non-red rhom as a diamond rhom and the rhom that am selling as a xingu rhom.
i dunno i think they probably both come from the xingu river but are just different subspecies of rhoms maybe??

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Here is a pic of o snap its eric xingu. I think that this one has the potential to be a xingu that has little to no red in the gill area like the rhom first posted above.

Again, xingu refers to the location the fish was extracted. Given that these locations are correct, I believe there are two color variations extracted in this area.

·
Registered
571 Posts
there are probably a bunch of different variants that are extracted from the xingu river but since i dont do the actual extracting lol i have no way of knowing hehe
but yea theres a bunch of different variants of the rhom

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Datman said:
but yea theres a bunch of different variants of the rhom
Preach on brother! LoL.

~Dj

·
Registered
571 Posts
hahaha
you shouldnt quote me lol cuz someone that actually knows what theyre talking about may comment on what i have to say and then ill look like an ass

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
To give you a brief idea about Serrasalmus sp. in Rio Xingu. Rhombeus is just one, there are 3 other Serrasalmus sp. that are not ID'd but one of them could be S. altispinis which is a near twin of S. rhombeus except for the belly region (more compressed and higher placed ventral fin. Also a prominent humeral spot, prominent belly serrae and last but not least a bit thinner anteriorly than s. rhombeus yet thicker than the compressus group.

One other fish collected there includes S. hollandi. BTW, S. altispinis also have a prominent black tail unlike S. rhombeus where it tends to be a bit washed out.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Well Ill be god [email protected]! LoL. The hobby keeps growing day by day. I have to give Frank credit for being able to keep up with such progressions. Just for my own records, where is this xingu area exactly?

~Dj

1 - 20 of 24 Posts