Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an avid sw fisherman for those who don't know...particularly striped bass. Although I love to catch bluefish, weakfish, all types of gamefish, etc & all sorts of bottom dwellers as well. I just really enjoy fishing, period

But this time of the year kills me!! I haven't caught a striper in mos. Haven't caught anything in a while actually...since mid Nov I beleive. Heading out just before 1st break of light or as the sun sets...then landing a 40lb cow (big bass) or a 12lb maniac chopper (blue) on light to med tackle.....grrrrr....all I can do now is restock the surf bag w/ artificials & lube the reels. Cannot waiiiitttt til Apr!

Anybody else out there feel my pain?? I'd especially like to hear those from the eastcoast, where the STRIPAHS are at.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Although, I only fish freshwater, as a fellow angler, I can definentily feel your pain. Its not even cold enough in lower Michigan to go icefishing. Sometimes I feel like if I dont catch a fish soon I'm gonna go crazy. Fishing is how I relax and forget about my problems. I would love nothing more than to sit there and fish all day, even if I'm not catching, just being out there is soooo relaxing and peaceful. I miss it terribly this time of year.

But it makes spring 10X better though, finally getting to get out there after such a long wait.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha, I hear...fish all day & push the problems aside. It really is relaxing. Hey, any particular fw gsmefish you like going for? Ill be vacationing at a lakehouse in july, so Ill definitely be aiming for those largemouths for sure.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
On the river I usually set up a 20lb(big for freshwater)line to set there for catfish or suckers, then cast my other line for largemouth or smallmouth. If I get bored or feel like having a fish fry I will skip largemouth and go for bluegills and crappie.

In the gravel pits by my house I will use 6lb line and half a crawler with one decient size sinker about 8-10 inches from the hook and jig it across the bottom, you can catch almost everything with that setup. Its cool because you never know whats gonna hit that.

·
Is a Boss.
4,236 Posts
i mainly fish FW for largemouths and crappie. i go out with my dad for stripers and weakfish sometimes. hes real big into SW. i find it kind of boring. i usually fish places that arent heavily fished on foot, so it makes it more exiting by trekking through the brush and trees just to get to a spot.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I know what you mean NJ, I live in Grand Rapids, which is a pretty big city. But there are these trails(kent trails) that go into some of the few forests left around here. Off those trails there are a ton of gravel pits that almost never get fished, I might see someone once every 10-15 times I go. For living in the city its as close as I can get to where I grew up(country). Bike down the trail for 30 minutes and its like I'm in the middle of nowhere. Plus I think the fish get skittish when theres a couple dozen boats on the lake every day, the fish in these pits almost never see a lure.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aw cmon NJ. Not even battling a monster blue that just refuses to be landed?? Jk..I hear ya. If you don't really love it like your father or I do, it could get boring I guess.

But I was born & raised in New England..and did a lot of sw fishing with my pops growing up, so the striper is my main target.

Btw, there should be still some down where you're at...nj down to carolinas, which should be their last stop til spring.

·
Banned
9,412 Posts
yeah i hear you man, i havent gotten out since september. not a striper to be found around here, and still too warm for ice...nothing like sitting on a boat with a 30 rack and some dorito's getting hammard while fishing for stripers...probably the best "sport" ever invented.

·
Is a Boss.
4,236 Posts
Aw cmon NJ. Not even battling a monster blue that just refuses to be landed?? Jk..I hear ya. If you don't really love it like your father or I do, it could get boring I guess.

But I was born & raised in New England..and did a lot of sw fishing with my pops growing up, so the striper is my main target.

Btw, there should be still some down where you're at...nj down to carolinas, which should be their last stop til spring.
ive grown up on SW i just never enjoyed it as much as FW. i live on the water with about a 2 min boat ride to the bay. sw can be fun but i just dont get as excited about it as i do FW fishing.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
in in toronto so it's all fw, and does it suck not to be able to go fishing. i'm out there every weekend and during the week if possible.last trip i made was on nov 11th caught alot of jumbo perch on lake simcoe.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tick, tock, tick, tock....

Hey r1dermon...only a couple more mos. or so til the STRIPAHHHHSSSSS come back. And they'll be verrry hungry

·
my sister is #1 best prostitute
10,514 Posts
thats why i go for blackfish, tehy are fiest bastards and a tricky bite.. a little over a month and its winter flounder season then before you know it the stripahs will be back around..

rider im going to tell every cow i catch theres some sex deprived bastard in mass waiting to rape them, you wont catch any fish this year

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Speakin of togs..I dunno, but I just never had the best of luck snatchin em...Id reel in w/ a munched on crab & no fish

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Haha wow when I saw this thread I laughed, because I have a friend that just got me into fishing - I just haven't done it yet... But I've spent the last week buying myself my first rod, some lures and jigs and plastic bait, and spending hours on the computer looking up fishing stuff. I have been really itching to get outside and do some fishing but the lakes are covered with enough ice and snow to prevent me from doing it from the shore, but not enough to step out onto the ice. I guess we are gonna fish in the Wabash River pretty soon. I'm pretty pumped... I've never fished for anything other than bluegill just for shits and giggles before, but my buddy is gonna show me how to filet and cook fish, and fish for something bigger. I'm pretty pumped for it to warm up...

·
my sister is #1 best prostitute
10,514 Posts
Speakin of togs..I dunno, but I just never had the best of luck snatchin em...Id reel in w/ a munched on crab & no fish
haha yeah tey can definately frustrate you, and teh bite and hookset is different in differnt waters, and thats only half the equasion first you gotta hitthe right spot of the structure, they can come out of a honey hole like a pez dispenser and three feet to either side you could get skunked..

this year i finally got the LI sound bite, feel the first tap and slowly lift until you feel weight then just pull up to set it and lift them off the bottom then just keep the tension on and reel up steadily, best rods have a medium to soft tip and solid back bone..

plus like most fish the larger ones tend to bite less agresively then the smaller ones

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Go for it man. Once youre hooked, its a wrap. You'll know exactly what I mean...
Besides the fact that its fun, relaxing, addicting etc...its also an added bonus for us piranha guys catching fresh fish for our ps

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nismo, that cracks me up...because I had this fellow surfcaster next to me 1 day pullin up goood sz togs...Im over here about to pull all my hair out....in 2hrs, he mustve pulled out 7-10, 16"ers. I on the other hand...same bait, same location, similar setup...2...

Ill get that toggin thing down 1 day

1 - 17 of 17 Posts