Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering about to buy a 75 gallon got my bio spira in the fridge my shoal is good but I want a finger chaser like my old irritan i sold. Will I get that with a black diamond? are rhom generally speaking finger chasers or not? Dont tell me it depends on the fish because there are some species that are more likely to do that. Ps what about altuvie I talked to pedro and he guranteed those guys

· Registered
1,989 Posts
It is going to depend on the individual fish, if you want one that is very aggressive, I'd recommend going to pick it out yourself.

Edit: I didn't see that you said don't say it depends on the fish. If you don't believe that, even though many senior members on this board have said it, Whey do you even bother asking?

· Registered
18,153 Posts
No fish, let alone species, is a guaranteed finger chaser - in fact, you can consider yourself lucky if it turns out to be one.
Even if a fish chases fingers in the store, it doesn't mean it'll do it once brought home - they're animals, not machines, and don't care about their owner's expectations.
So if your most important criterium for a piranha is mindless agression, prepare to end up disappointed, because the odds are against you - it's luck of the draw, and there are no guarantees.

· Registered
564 Posts
Rocco said:
My piranha never used to chase fingers but then i farted in the tank and it chased my finger like crazy,or maybeit was just trying to get out

[snapback]871833[/snapback]​

· Registered
1,900 Posts
rocco that is how u get banned, and i hope u do. anyway it really does depend on the fish. i have two irritans and one chases my finger and the other doesn't. i think that it is not a big deal if the fish is aggressive. it would be nice but i would much prefer the fish to be active. i have not gotten a rhom bc alot of people say that it is very in active. my irritans and my caribes are constantly swimming and i find that most enjoyable.

· Registered
107 Posts
shoe997bed263 said:
rocco that is how u get banned, and i hope u do. anyway it really does depend on the fish. i have two irritans and one chases my finger and the other doesn't. i think that it is not a big deal if the fish is aggressive. it would be nice but i would much prefer the fish to be active. i have not gotten a rhom bc alot of people say that it is very in active. my irritans and my caribes are constantly swimming and i find that most enjoyable.
[snapback]872162[/snapback]​
aww lighten up a bit that was funny as hell!

Rocco, you totally made my day

· Registered
10,481 Posts
All a moving finger to a fish (predator) is a wiggling worm. Nothing spectacular about that. I used to wiggle my toes at a tank I had that was near floor level. They tried to bite it. If I took the mental exercise of stating they were viciously wanting to attack me, it would be grossly exaggerated view of what the fish was actually seeing.

· Registered
5,089 Posts
battlefish said:
Just wondering about to buy a 75 gallon got my bio spira in the fridge my shoal is good but I want a finger chaser like my old irritan i sold. Will I get that with a black diamond? are rhom generally speaking finger chasers or not? Dont tell me it depends on the fish because there are some species that are more likely to do that. Ps what about altuvie I talked to pedro and he guranteed those guys
[snapback]871802[/snapback]​
all you are going to get from anyone who knows is that it depends on the fish. There is no little "black piranha book" that tells you which piranhas are going to chase your finger. If thats all you really care about, a piranha isnt for you.

· Danse Macabre!
9,834 Posts
hastatus said:
All a moving finger to a fish (predator) is a wiggling worm. Nothing spectacular about that. I used to wiggle my toes at a tank I had that was near floor level. They tried to bite it. If I took the mental exercise of stating they were viciously wanting to attack me, it would be grossly exaggerated view of what the fish was actually seeing.
[snapback]872488[/snapback]​
I would think that's a bit of a generalization. I'm not one to brag about my fish being super aggressive, because honestly it's not an issue to me, but it's quite clear from my observations that he is not mistaking me for a worm when he charges the front of the glass when I come to within 2 feet of the tank. Any gesture in his direction is met with the same response, wiggling finger or not and I've often heard him crash into the tank wall when I am reaching to the left of his tank for my alarm clock at night. Wiggling my finger is the only thing that elicits a continued response after the initial charge, but it's pretty obvious it's not a case of him mistaking my hand for a small worm as it is him being annoyed by my proximity to what he thinks of as "his" space.

· Registered
314 Posts
I guess the general consesus is that it depends on the fish. My spilo for instance chases my finger from time to time and appears to be aggresive. However, he doesnt attack the food like I would like. However, I take the good with the bad..He is a very active fish and he is always swimming and I get enjoyment out of that. If your lucky perhaps you can pick out your fish or be the luck of the draw..

· Registered
10,481 Posts
elTwitcho Posted Yesterday, 09:06 PM
QUOTE(hastatus @ Jan 31 2005, 11:28 PM)

I would think that's a bit of a generalization. I'm not one to brag about my fish being super aggressive, because honestly it's not an issue to me, but it's quite clear from my observations that he is not mistaking me for a worm when he charges the front of the glass when I come to within 2 feet of the tank. Any gesture in his direction is met with the same response, wiggling finger or not and I've often heard him crash into the tank wall when I am reaching to the left of his tank for my alarm clock at night. Wiggling my finger is the only thing that elicits a continued response after the initial charge, but it's pretty obvious it's not a case of him mistaking my hand for a small worm as it is him being annoyed by my proximity to what he thinks of as "his" space.
I was talking about the movement of the finger. Not the whole body. But I can see where you draw your conclusions and its reasonable. You're a foreign body. And these fish defend their area.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.