Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my new tank a week ago. It is a bow front 46 gallons but it could fit 3 rbps. it is around 35 in. in length 18 in high and it's a bow front =] so they have more than enough space to turn.
I just tested my tap water after three days of letting it cycle after putting stress coat and all. To my suprise, the pH is 8.0-8.2
Can my fish live in that kind of pH?

·
Registered
880 Posts
jeddy hao said:
I just got my new tank a week ago. It is a bow front 46 gallons but it could fit 3 rbps. it is around 35 in. in length 18 in high and it's a bow front =] so they have more than enough space to turn.
I just tested my tap water after three days of letting it cycle after putting stress coat and all. To my suprise, the pH is 8.0-8.2
Can my fish live in that kind of pH?
[snapback]936680[/snapback]​
probablly but that is way high. add some driftwood to lower it

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,001 Posts
If you only waited 3 days your cycle has barely begun. PH can be fatal to your fish due to ammonia's toxicity at that level. Move your fish to an established tank if you can, whether its a friend or a LFS may hold them for you.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Buy a bottle of Ph decreaser! Actually buy a couple. It will lower your pH and the other bottles are handy during a water change.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
ok... the most important thing is that you keep your PH level stable and make sure it does not fluctuate! My RBP's have lived in a PH level of 8.0 (tap water) for several years now!

Just keep an eye on your water parameters and you will be fine. Others will disagree about the PH being 8.0 , but when you have a 100+ gallon tank... bottled water, PH decreaser and all the other crap can get too expensive.

Main thing -- consistency!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts