Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I was talking to a buddy and when I mensioned I was getting a fish tank he told me not too. He said it's really a big chore cleaning it all the time. He says the tank gets really dirty and fast and having to change the water get's annoying. I read a couple cleaning FAQ's and to me it didn't really sound that hard, like 20 minutes worth of work.

So I come to you guys. What do you think about keeping your tanks clean? Is it really a pain in the ass or is my buddy just a lazy ass? How fast does the tank get dirty(to make it look non presentable)? How often do you guys do this task?

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
If you know what you doing, spend some time with it, be patient and it really easy to keep and a fish and cleaning the tank. Also knowing what you doing.

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
first off, if you do everything correctly, the tank should never get to the point of being unpresentable. Unless you have an algea outbreak. Second of all, your buddy does sound a little lazy, but if you are not into fish like some of us, then I could see where he thinks water changes can get annoying. Water changes can be made extremly simple by buying a Python Gravel vac. These make it 400% easier. And quicker.

But, BEFORE you go buying any P's, make sure you do the research on how P's should be kept. Make sure you don't buy a tank any less than 75 gallons if you are thinking about getting a pygo. This way you won't have to keep upgrading, and anything less is WAY to small IMO. I would suggest at least an 6' footprint for life.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
and 2 you will like your fish so much cleanin the tank just becomes part of the fun

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
i do sometimes get annoyed with my planted tank, I dose ferts daily, clean once a week, and have to prune and trim and change out co2 bottles. My pygo tank is going to be sand and drfitwood and little to no plants

·
AQHU RULES
4,609 Posts
in this matter it all depends on how you have our tank setup and how you intend to clean it...........................my tanks nor mally take my 2 hour on a sunday, but i really enjoy cleaning them

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
its not hard at all cleaning a tank....i do it the ghetto way and it take maybe 45 min of my life a week so....tell your buddy to pull up his skirt....i enjoy cleaning it to see the after effects....and my fish go nuts cus they're in heaven afterwards too

·
Registered
64 Posts
I agree with everyone... including you buddy! Cleaning tanks is not hard but can be a pain. I am a student and have an apt. I don't have the space for things like 5 gallon buckets that make it easy to change... so I do my water changes with 2 gallon (at the most) jager bucket. I fill the tank with the same bucket or sometimes like 3 of those cheap plastic pitchers they use at bars on cheap pitcher nights. At the moment the tank is clean except for the algae that broke out after I had a Pacu rotting alive in the tank... took out all my other fish (completely my fault... not the best fish keeping at the time but this lead me to getting my p's). The algae is still on the rocks and I clean the glass with every water change (and the viewing glass usually in the middle of these changes).

Sounds easy right? It is easy but I don't enjoy the process just the results so when the tank is relatively clean other things take prioirty. My changes usually only take about a half hour and I typically do them on one of my free days when homework is the last thing I want to do. Speaking of... I need to get back to writing my paper...

Do your research and fishkeeping is easy... if you can set aside an hour for your tank each week then you probably can be succesful with your fish.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I agree with everyone... including you buddy! Cleaning tanks is not hard but can be a pain. I am a student and have an apt. I don't have the space for things like 5 gallon buckets that make it easy to change... so I do my water changes with 2 gallon (at the most) jager bucket. I fill the tank with the same bucket or sometimes like 3 of those cheap plastic pitchers they use at bars on cheap pitcher nights. At the moment the tank is clean except for the algae that broke out after I had a Pacu rotting alive in the tank... took out all my other fish (completely my fault... not the best fish keeping at the time but this lead me to getting my p's). The algae is still on the rocks and I clean the glass with every water change (and the viewing glass usually in the middle of these changes).

Sounds easy right? It is easy but I don't enjoy the process just the results so when the tank is relatively clean other things take prioirty. My changes usually only take about a half hour and I typically do them on one of my free days when homework is the last thing I want to do. Speaking of... I need to get back to writing my paper...

Do your research and fishkeeping is easy... if you can set aside an hour for your tank each week then you probably can be succesful with your fish.
Dman that sucks hard, I use a python for mine lol

·
Registered
218 Posts
if you're a little fish obsessed like most of us,it's no big deal.if he's one of those people who just bought a tank for decor then i see it being a pain.also if he's one of those people who knows nothing about fish keeping in general, and i'm only guessing, he waits 'til the tank gets filthy from over feeding prepared foods,has an algea outbreak,never changes out filter media. He probably tears the tank completely down every few months, 6 months, once a year , and scubs everything ( i know some of you guys are gasping in disbelief, but those people are out there) that would be a pain and it's horrible for the fish, regardless of species.weekly or monthly water changes of 10%-50% (25% on average) and regular filter maint. is really all there is to it. Read up on the nitrogen cycle if you haven't already(this is the cornerstone of aquarium keeping) research the fish and ask questions. But, in the short version, NO, fish are not hard to keep.GO FOR IT!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you want to start with a tank you better start with some neon tetra's and some other small and easy to keep fish. And later after a few years you can start with Piranha's but i think thats a long way to go. Good luck with it, i don't think this is the right forum for starters ther also other forums you can go to with people who have the same questions you have.

·
Dodge City
10,070 Posts
Doing tank maintenace doesn't have to be a huge chore.
Gettinga python or at the least a gravel vac is a good step in making it easy. If you're not going to get a python , I suggest getting a couple 5 gallon pails from Home Depot to make your water changes easier.
Good filtration helps to keep tanks clean but doesn't remove the need for water changes.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Yeah, as stated above I would agree that your friend is lazy, or doesn't know how to properly do water changes. Most uneducated people still believe that you have to change 100% of the water, and scrub down everything in the tank. When you tell them that you should only change a faction of the water during water changes they look at you like your are crazy.

Nonetheless, tank maintenance is easy. It just take about one hour of your time on Sundays (for me at least). FW tanks will run themselves once you have it up and cycled. Hell, I fill you about water changes with a 2 gallon jager bucket. When I was in school I did water changes with a 5 gallon bucket to syphon into, and a 1 gallon bucket to refill (couldn't get the 5g bucket under the facet). Talk about a pain in the ass, and taking some time to complete.

·
Registered
658 Posts
1 hour a week for maintenance is not really a chore. You need to be committed to it though and make a regular slot for cleaning every week or your tank will look like sh*t very fast and your fish will suffer.

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts
I think some ppl make it more of a chore then it needs to be.
It really depends on what kind of fish and how many you have. And if you are going with live plants.
adding live plants will add alot to your daily chore in dealing with the tank.
No plants and just a fish and minor deco. nahh shouldn't get messy too quick.
so long as your not one of those ppl who buy every and any "cool" looking fish and try and stick them all in one tank that is far too small for them all.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
its all what you make of it ... if you have no real interest in piranhas and all you want to see is them tair some fish apart then yes i can see it becoming a core when its time to do your cleaning ... but if you have a passion towards your fish have a rountine of how you clean its no biggy you can take as much or little time as you want working away at your tank(s). with good filteration you will not notice your tank being as dirty, different amounts and types of fish in your tank will make it more or less dirty, some produce more waste then others. like i said before its what you make of it. its eitehr a core or a passion

dark FrOsT

1 - 19 of 19 Posts