Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard there is something called amazon black or amazon dark that can darken your water for light sensitive fish. Is this true, and if so, where can I find any of this. Local fish stores I've called have no idea what I'm looking for.

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
There are several ways to "Darken" your water into an amber color.
The Amazon and it's tributaries are far from being crystal clear.
Rotting logs, leaves and such all contribute to the tannins in the water.

My favorite way to simulate this in the aquarium is through the use of peat pellets.
They can go into the media trays of HOB filters such as the Emperor 400 or you can take and cut the legs of nylon pantyhose into 10" lengths and fill them loosely with pellets and tie both ends and submerse these into filters.

The result is not only a "Tea" coloration, but also a softening to the water and a lowered pH.
All of which are present in the piranhas natural environment.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
The brownish tint or darker coloration comes from tannins.
True, a lot of tannins is dissolved from a new driftwood.
And true, you can also buy peat extract (blackwater extract), that also contains tannins, just like peat granules or tablets.

Tannins (humic acids) will lower the alkalinity (KH) of the water and thus also pH is slightly lowered.

Harry

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
The brownish tint or darker coloration comes from tannins.
True, a lot of tannins is dissolved from a new driftwood.
And true, you can also buy peat extract (blackwater extract), that also contains tannins, just like peat granules or tablets.

Tannins (humic acids) will lower the alkalinity (KH) of the water and thus also pH is slightly lowered.

Harry
and none of those tannins will ruin the water? just drop the ph a bit right?

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts
Correct, tannins are harmless. There is always a risk of it buffering the pH a bit, but sometimes it won't even affect it.

*Topic Moved to Water Chemistry Forum*

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So ... peat pellets? Like what you use for planting stuff? Or is there a special aquarium type of peat pellet? Also, if that is what your talking, I have a canister filter that has media holders, can I place it in there with them? What is the best \ safest results with these?

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
Yeah, actually the tannins will simulate the natural aspects of the piranhas' rivers.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know you probably meant yeah, but any peat tablets will do? I can just get the ones in the plant department? Or yeah just put them in the canister filter? I just don't want to go get them and put them in and have my fish get sick or something. So to clarify, any peat tablets, or do they have to be specifically for fish tanks. I plan on putting a peat tablet in some nylon and into my canister filter, whenever I figure out which ones I can put in there.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I know you probably meant yeah, but any peat tablets will do? I can just get the ones in the plant department? Or yeah just put them in the canister filter? I just don't want to go get them and put them in and have my fish get sick or something. So to clarify, any peat tablets, or do they have to be specifically for fish tanks. I plan on putting a peat tablet in some nylon and into my canister filter, whenever I figure out which ones I can put in there.
i would get them for a fish tank,and they could go into the filter,but put them in a stocking. kind of funny they sell them without the sock. i guess they make more money of ya that way

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
I've given exactly what you're asking quite a bit of thought.
I've gone to the gardening department and inquired about their bags of peat.... because they are much cheaper than boxes of peat pellets.

I couldn't get a straight answer as to if the bagged plant peat had any fertilizers in it or not!
I decided that it wasn't worth the risk, so I decided to go for the pellets... they're sterilized.... and made for aquarium use.

I'd imagine there is a lot of protozoan spores in the bagged stuff.
Plus, it's messy.
The pellets stay together.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay, I understand what you mean, you use the actual amazon peats for aquariums. I would only use the peat pellets anyways. I wouldnt use loose peat. I meant the peat pellets in the gardening sections. But I understand what you meant now.

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
Okay, I understand what you mean, you use the actual amazon peats for aquariums. I would only use the peat pellets anyways. I wouldnt use loose peat. I meant the peat pellets in the gardening sections. But I understand what you meant now.
Hmmm, I've never seen peat pellets in the gardening section before.
Are they a hell of a lot cheaper?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
For the plain ones, yes, check lowes, menards, or any place with gardening sections. A lot of places don't have that stuff out yet, its too early, menards or lowes are your best bet. There isn't any fertilizers in most, and if they do, it always says its fortified with fertilizers, etc. I saw the amazon peats online, 14.99 for a small package is way too much.

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
I'd just be totally sure that there are no ingredients other than peat.
Perhaps you could call the manufacturer and speak with them... ask different people in the company, don't accept just one answer or certainly not the answer from the receptionist.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts