1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Peace....Through Superior Firepower
13,643 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok. All I asked for was an answer if the is theoretically possible. I do not need replies like "moron" back. That does not help me. Why was this such an (as I get the impression of) appalling question?
And as I said, this was just a thought., and like no one have ever thought about it.. Jeez..

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
DepH Posted Today, 01:27 PM
Ok. All I asked for was an answer if the is theoretically possible. I do not need replies like "moron" back. That does not help me. Why was this such an (as I get the impression of) appalling question? And as I said, this was just a thought., and like no one have ever thought about it.. Jeez..
I call it as I see it. First of all, you have no clue who I am and why I find suggestions like yours so repulsive. You also don't know that Oregon is attempting to prohibit piranas again because some idiot thought it was "cool" to just dump them in a creek so that some kid with a fishing pole could fish it out and make the evening news.

Educate yourself and read the threads presently going on about piranas being banned in Oregon. Then you might get a better idea of who you are writing too.

·
"Bruce Lee" the Legend
5,194 Posts
DepH said:
Ok. All I asked for was an answer if the is theoretically possible. I do not need replies like "moron" back. That does not help me. Why was this such an (as I get the impression of) appalling question?
And as I said, this was just a thought., and like no one have ever thought about it.. Jeez..

[snapback]842704[/snapback]​
Because people like you ruin it for everyone else. Look at your statement

it would have been fun to set loose several shoals into a lake
that alone tells us how smart you are

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
BTW, Your words:

Hi! It's just a thought; would it be possible to adapt the piranha to survive in colder water than they are used to be? Like down to 15 or 10 degrees celsius? Hehe, this will sound very stupid but; if that was possible, it would have been fun to set loose several shoals into a lake. Although the other factors like water ph and stuff would be different, but if one could adapt the piranha to survive in this, do you think it would work?

Just a thought

·
what up NINJA
4,581 Posts
It's a real bad idea, doing what you are asking about, it's the worst thing a fish keeper can do. It's calling on gov't to take away our right to keep the fish. They'll pass laws because you are ruining the ecosystem by introducing the fish into your native waters. THAT is what a moron does.

·
Captain P
2,753 Posts
DepH said:
Hi! It's just a thought; would it be possible to adapt the piranha to survive in colder water than they are used to be? Like down to 15 or 10 degrees celsius? Hehe, this will sound very stupid but; if that was possible, it would have been fun to set loose several shoals into a lake. Although the other factors like water ph and stuff would be different, but if one could adapt the piranha to survive in this, do you think it would work?

Just a thought

[snapback]842620[/snapback]​
No it would not be possible to acclimate them to live for long periods of time at that temperature. As for setting loose shoals in a lake: It is not a wise choice because they are a predatory species that could decimate the eco-system in the lake if they established themselves. They would not survive long in cold climates. In a temperate one it would be more dangerous.
Another reason is because ,as hobbyists, states are outlawing piranhas because of people doing what you have suggested. People release them into creeks, ponds, etc and somebody catches one and then an alarm is set off all over the state.

I am no expert, but I thought my opinion might help you understand.

·
Captain P
2,753 Posts
Hey guys , Just a thought, maybe instead of flaming the guy and calling him names like children. You could try to educate him on why that is not a good idea. I understand that it is a hot topic in some states HOWEVER: these types of questions will always be asked. So if you care so much about it, then educate those who don't know or don't understand.

·
Registered
579 Posts
traumatic said:
It's a real bad idea, doing what you are asking about, it's the worst thing a fish keeper can do. It's calling on gov't to take away our right to keep the fish. They'll pass laws because you are ruining the ecosystem by introducing the fish into your native waters. THAT is what a moron does.
[snapback]842721[/snapback]​
First of all, if you guys would have actually READ what I was writing and taken it for what it stood, and not speculated further. I am saying it's just a THOUGHT, not an serious idea.
Secondly I wouldn't do that, I don't have the money or the interest. The only interest I had in this question was that if one could adapt the piranha into surviving in colder water, one maybe could have it in a pond in the garden. Thirdly; "You also don't know that Oregon is attempting to prohibit piranas again because some idiot thought it was "cool" to just dump them in a creek so that some kid with a fishing pole could fish it out and make the evening news. Educate yourself and read the threads presently going on about piranas being banned in Oregon. Then you might get a better idea of who you are writing too."
I'm deeply sorry, I did not see these thread presently going on, and I am not educated enough to know this. That's why I posted this post.

You totally misunderstood my question, obviously my fault since there are so many of you. So I'll try to explain myself differently:
I was asking if there is possible to adapt the piranha to tolerate colder water down to e.g 15 degrees celsius. Then the example came where I told about the thought about the lake. This is where I should have taken another example; like a pond.
I got excited because it sounded like this wasn't a subject anybody had heard of, the lake thing. I am only asking this to get more educated and get more information.

Thanks to azeral26 or captain P (
) I have gotten my answer.

- OUT

·
Captain P
2,753 Posts
mr.freez said:
they come in peace V <---- the vulcan greating thingy

[snapback]842752[/snapback]​

·
what up NINJA
4,581 Posts
I think a lot of people have envisioned your idea, and the guys here have strict feelings about it. Not trying to flame you just telling you why it shouldn't be done. Frank (hastatus) did studies on p. nattereri's ability to withstand cold temps : LINK

·
Peace....Through Superior Firepower
13,643 Posts
oompalumpa61 said:
I think it'd be awsome to try to have piranhas adapt into a lake in your backyard. It would be a great project for someone to accomplish.
[snapback]842810[/snapback]​

1 - 20 of 44 Posts