Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
does anyone else do this after a water change? I add doc wellfish's salt after a water chage is it worth it? or is it bullshit to add it? What are the benifits of adding this that you know of? I read on the box reduces stress, improves electrolytes, and improves gill function. I also read it can make fish grow faster. thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
i add the same aquarium salt everytime i do a water change, helps with all of above and nitrItes

·
Danse Macabre!
10,561 Posts
Why would you add salt to a freshwater tank exactly? It's not like the fish just swims in the water and there's an impenetrable barier between itself and the water it swims in, that water is absorbed by your fish through it's skin and swallowed and then excreted in urin to maintain the fish's osmoregulatory balance. When you change the saline content of your water, you're also changing your fish's waste and urinary system since now the water outside of the fish is much more saline and the process of osmosis gets affected.

FRESHwater fish belong in FRESHwater, not salt water. Unless you need salt for a specific ailment, don't put your fish in it.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
elTwitcho said:
Why would you add salt to a freshwater tank exactly? It's not like the fish just swims in the water and there's an impenetrable barier between itself and the water it swims in, that water is absorbed by your fish through it's skin and swallowed and then excreted in urin to maintain the fish's osmoregulatory balance. When you change the saline content of your water, you're also changing your fish's waste and urinary system since now the water outside of the fish is much more saline and the process of osmosis gets affected.

FRESHwater fish belong in FRESHwater, not salt water. Unless you need salt for a specific ailment, don't put your fish in it.
[snapback]822886[/snapback]​
i always heard that it can kill some parasites that are bad for the tank ,,,or some stuff like that,,, well i have always put a little salt in my tanks every other water change,not alot tho,,, and never had no touble with my fish ,or anything,,its not like a put alot in well thats just me tho,i guess everyone has there own theory on stuff

·
Danse Macabre!
10,561 Posts
It kills parasites because they don't have as complex a system as fish for maintaining it's osmotic balance. What happens to the parasites is they literally dry up because the osmotic pressure inside them due to the lower salt content causes the water to flow out from them and into the water. Your fish just has a more complex regulatory system which means it can cope with the salt better, but it doesn't mean it's good for it.

·
3,901 Posts
Eltwitcho already stated by view on the matter...

Of course salt works for some parasites, but there's really no need to keep it in tanks 100% of time. IMO keep you tank free of salt until you need it, then up the salt concentration with disease signs show.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
elTwitcho said:
It kills parasites because they don't have as complex a system as fish for maintaining it's osmotic balance. What happens to the parasites is they literally dry up because the osmotic pressure inside them due to the lower salt content causes the water to flow out from them and into the water. Your fish just has a more complex regulatory system which means it can cope with the salt better, but it doesn't mean it's good for it.
[snapback]822899[/snapback]​
that makes alot of sense to me ,,and im glad i have checked this post out ,,,well i see now ,with your advice,,that makes alot of sense to me,i think im going to only use salt when needed and me like everyone else dont know everything ,so thanx for the info

1 - 12 of 12 Posts