Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to get a 55g tank very soon and the local fishshop suggested a large Penguin Bio-wheel Power filter for my setup. I used to work at a fishshop and we only used Bio-wheel filters on brackish/salt water setups. Am I wasting money or will it benefit the tank significant enough for the extra spending?

I've also checked out Wal-Mart's 55g tank kit, their tank/heater/hood looks good but man, their included filter sucks.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I would think 2 pengiun 350s would be great for a 55. Or a emporer 400, and a small canister. Or 2 emporer 280s.

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,000 Posts
I've heard that emperor's have trouble repriming themselves after a power outage. Not sure if thats true. Never owned an Emperor. Though the concept of a bio wheel is excellent for bio filtration.

·
Caribe > Any Other Piranha
6,351 Posts
Jerry, i have a emperror filter, when i unplugged it to move to move it to another tank, and plugged it back in, with half the water in it, just like what a power outage would do, it started right back up.

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,000 Posts
Jerry, i have a emperror filter, when i unplugged it to move to move it to another tank, and plugged it back in, with half the water in it, just like what a power outage would do, it started right back up.
I think it was GG who mentioned it but I guess with anything mechanical nothing is 100% dependable. Thanks for chiming in and mentioning that

1 - 6 of 6 Posts