Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Captain Britannia
Joined
·
4,605 Posts
apparently distant cousins or something but the are not the same .pacu have a different tooth structure more like humans and they dont have the jaw structure a piranha has they also grow a lot bigger
dixon
 

· joey'd is da man
Joined
·
11,920 Posts
they might look kind of the same, but they are differant species (closely related though)
Red belly Pacus and black pacus get way bigger than piranhas, and do not have such large, powerfull lower jaws, but this does not mean they don't eat feeders.
often described as vegetarian, it is not, it just eats more vegetation than piranhas

Red belly pacu link
Black pacu link
Red belly pacu link 2
Red belly piranha link
 

· OPEFE
Joined
·
9,941 Posts
Only related species, not a pygo that are the only true piranhas!
 

· joey'd is da man
Joined
·
11,920 Posts
hastatus said:
they might look kind of the same, but they are differant species (closely related though)
They are not closely related. Tambagui (the correct name) are homogenous and form a group that is far older than the piranas. For more information read:

Tambaqui, Silver Dollars, Pacu
I ment close as in not completly differant. i.e. a cichlid or a shark or a buffalo or somrthing, not that a pacu is a pygo or any kind of piranha.
sorry if I was misleading.
 

· Beautiful One
Joined
·
8,136 Posts
Innes said:
they might look kind of the same, but they are differant species (closely related though)
Red belly Pacus and black pacus get way bigger than piranhas, and do not have such large, powerfull lower jaws, but this does not mean they don't eat feeders.
often described as vegetarian, it is not, it just eats more vegetation than piranhas

Red belly pacu link
Black pacu link
Red belly pacu link 2
Red belly piranha link
Like you being a vegetarian Innes.
 

· joey'd is da man
Joined
·
11,920 Posts
pcrose said:
Innes said:
they might look kind of the same, but they are differant species (closely related though)
Red belly Pacus and black pacus get way bigger than piranhas, and do not have such large, powerfull lower jaws, but this does not mean they don't eat feeders.
often described as vegetarian, it is not, it just eats more vegetation than piranhas

Red belly pacu link
Black pacu link
Red belly pacu link 2
Red belly piranha link
Like you being a vegetarian Innes.
I am
but pacus are not
 

· Registered
Joined
·
10,481 Posts
Innes Posted on Mar 29 2003, 03:45 AM

I ment close as in not completly differant. i.e. a cichlid or a shark or a buffalo or somrthing, not that a pacu is a pygo or any kind of piranha.
sorry if I was misleading.
I'm not sure I understand your remark. If you mean tambaqui look physically similar than I agree, same ways the silver dollar looks similar and so do certain characins (tetras) to piranas. But if you are infering genetics, they are not close at all in relation to each other. Only Metynnis and Catoprion are closely related.

Unscientifically, tambaqui's are called cousins not sisters as some have infered. But I'm not sure even that statement is accurate given what we know today.
 

· joey'd is da man
Joined
·
11,920 Posts
hastatus said:
Innes Posted on Mar 29 2003, 03:45 AM

I ment close as in not completly differant. i.e. a cichlid or a shark or a buffalo or somrthing, not that a pacu is a pygo or any kind of piranha.
sorry if I was misleading.
I'm not sure I understand your remark. If you mean tambaqui look physically similar than I agree, same ways the silver dollar looks similar and so do certain characins (tetras) to piranas. But if you are infering genetics, they are not close at all in relation to each other. Only Metynnis and Catoprion are closely related.

Unscientifically, tambaqui's are called cousins not sisters as some have infered. But I'm not sure even that statement is accurate given what we know today.
I'm sorry Frank, I was not talking genetics as that is way to advanced for me.
I was just talking from my view of them, I know they are not super closely related, but as you said

"Unscientifically, tambaqui's are called cousins not sisters as some have infered."

I was only trying to help
*feeling really stupid now*
 

· Registered
Joined
·
19,249 Posts
Innes said:
hastatus said:
Innes Posted on Mar 29 2003, 03:45 AM

I ment close as in not completly differant. i.e. a cichlid or a shark or a buffalo or somrthing, not that a pacu is a pygo or any kind of piranha.
sorry if I was misleading.
I'm not sure I understand your remark. If you mean tambaqui look physically similar than I agree, same ways the silver dollar looks similar and so do certain characins (tetras) to piranas. But if you are infering genetics, they are not close at all in relation to each other. Only Metynnis and Catoprion are closely related.

Unscientifically, tambaqui's are called cousins not sisters as some have infered. But I'm not sure even that statement is accurate given what we know today.
I'm sorry Frank, I was not talking genetics as that is way to advanced for me.
I was just talking from my view of them, I know they are not super closely related, but as you said

"Unscientifically, tambaqui's are called cousins not sisters as some have infered."

I was only trying to help
*feeling really stupid now*
Dont be so hard on yourself Innes, we all appreciate your info! :smile:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
10,481 Posts
Innes Posted on Mar 29 2003, 03:59 AM ...I was only trying to help *feeling really stupid now*
No reason to feel stupid. I was simply trying to understand what it was you were saying. I know you do not know genetics, I'm not that well versed in it myself since much has changed over the last few years since my hiatus. This is simply an exchange of ideas and information. Nothing to be taken personally by you or anyone else.

And as Xenon stated, your information is helpful, but was unclear to me. Nothing personal in that.
 

· joey'd is da man
Joined
·
11,920 Posts
I understand.

Frank - did you get those scientific names I sent you?
can you explain to me which ones are correct for the differant types of pacu?

Xenon - what do you say about adding pacus, silver dollers, wimple piranhas and other "nearly a piranha" type fish to the factsheets with explinations of the differances between them and true piranhas?
 

· Beautiful One
Joined
·
8,136 Posts
Innes said:
I understand.

Frank - did you get those scientific names I sent you?
can you explain to me which ones are correct for the differant types of pacu?

Xenon - what do you say about adding pacus, silver dollers, wimple piranhas and other "nearly a piranha" type fish to the factsheets with explinations of the differances between them and true piranhas?
Yeah that would be very helpful to the board and then it would save a lot of questions from the newbies. It would be nice to know the difference myself I know some of the differences but I would like to learn more.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
10,481 Posts
Frank - did you get those scientific names I sent you?
can you explain to me which ones are correct for the differant types of pacu?
I finally sat down and read that PM, my apologies for not responding, since I do get many offline PM and just quickly read it. In this case, I saw this post here and partially read your PM, hence my replying here instead.

I can't tell you accurately what common name applies to which species in Piaractus or Colossoma because to me they are simply Tambaqui and one other native names that escapes me right now. Color is plastic and would not help you because ultimately these fish will generally turn dark grey to black anyway.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top