Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well as some of you may know the last time i put in my baby rbps with my 4 inchers... the babys almost died... so i was wondering whats the best way to introduce them with my 3 - 4'' rbps because the baby's right now are in a 20 gallon and they are about 1.5 inches long... and my other 3 rbps are in my 65 gallon so i was wondering if rearranging the tank would be sufficient or should i want till the babies get a little larger? and how larger before i put them in...
ps. from what i can see the babies are more aggressive then the older ones
lol

·
Registered
209 Posts
When I intro'd my little one I isolated him for ~ 3 weeks (got big enough to get away, grow VERY fast when that small), and got him so fattened up he could barely move
. He's now doing very well with the bigger guys, but my bigger guys will only go after orange gold fish, especially if there are some in the tank.

I've conditioned them well. I get away with 2 severum, 2 mogani (sp) cichlids, a blue lobster, a pleco and an occasional gray goldfish (for a week or so, one for over a month) with my guys. Downside, the LFS guys hate to see me coming, because they know I'm going to make them pick out 50-100 goldfish, "orange only please."
(they get beefheart and blood worms as well......being very well fed may help as well)

Your bigger Ps personality may be different, though.

·
rhombeus
3,659 Posts
Wait till your babies are 4'' then try It. your other p's will also have grown but the small ones can defend themselves and put a divider in first just for a week or two. GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Yeah I would keep them seperated until they are around the same size. Then you can introduce them. Make sure there are plenty of decors and also try adding some dithers (or live food) at the same time as introducing the new fish. On top of that take out the previous ones and rearange the tank and then re-introduce all of them.
Good luck

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I would just wait till they are almost equal in size or you will go through another ordeal like you did earlier.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I would also wait a lil longer before putting them in together. When mine were small, they were more active and aggresive toward each other. If you introduce them now, and they bigger ones dont tear em up right away, sooner or later the smaller one might harrass the larger ones and thats how they end up bein killed. Well in my experiences at least

Good Luck

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
i would also wait a couple of months until the sml ones have added a bit of size @3-4'' when they can protect themselves better against a larger fish .
as they sml ones grow the larger p's will reach 6 -7'' hopefully within 2-3 months also the smaller ones should reach @ 4'' so 2 inches should be ok difference but adding any size p's is always a risk so you never know

1 - 7 of 7 Posts