Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it ok to put in an 8 year old 8-9 inch piranha with 5, 5-6inch piranha's in a 100 gal tank? , if so what is the best way to introduce them, i was told to take all the existing piranha out of my tank, put them in a bucket [of the tank water of course] with the new piranha and then put them all back in the tank and that will kind of erase any original territorial instinct. is this true? thanks for your help

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
when you do this, make sure to rearrange the aquarium.. For example, move around the plants, any rock, etc. This will give the piranha a fresh start on territory. They will then start establishing new territories..

Good Luck

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
one of my biggest worries is adding a lone piranha to an existing schoal, and the piranha im adding is about double the size of the other original 5. is this okay?

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
kyle_5rb said:
one of my biggest worries is adding a lone piranha to an existing schoal, and the piranha im adding is about double the size of the other original 5. is this okay?
[snapback]837854[/snapback]​
it can be risky adding another p of any size, and the risk most likely will increase when you add one that is that much bigger. If you really want to add it, do what has been mentioned before. Take all the fish out, redo all the deco, and put them back in.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I kept a 8" red with two 3" reds without any problems. I didn't want to have to deal with catching that 8" monster so i never removed him from the aquarium. Instead, i got a divider for the tank and put the 8" on one side and the 3"s on the other. The 8" seemed a little hostile at first but after a week he cooled down. Then i removed the divider and they are all good buddies now.
I just let them get used to seeing one another and they were fine.
BTW, this was in a 55 gallon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.