Piranhas Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped into a lfs today and over heard the owner talking about ten rbp and cycling a tank. The customer was asking if he was going to add ten .5" P's to a brand new 100 gallon tank, if it had to be cycled first. The owner said if you add fish of that size that have a growth rate of the RBP, you don't have to cycle the tank first.

He said as the fish grows so will the amount of bacteria needed and that this amounts to a very slow and unnoticed cycling of the tank. My thoughts are that at some point, it has to peak. Right?

I told him that I always cycle the tank before adding P's and he said there's no need to if they are that small. This guy is usually very knowledgeable about aquatics but this just doesn't sound right to me.

Any thoughts on this?

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, that's the way I feel about it too. I caught the customer outside the store and gave my opinion on it(imagine that) and he thought my idea was a safer route.

Maybe the store owner was right but I'm not taking the risk of losing any of my fish by doing it that way.

I'm about to buy some baby reds from Pedro and there's no way I would through them into an uncycled tank.

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That was my argument with the store owner. If it doesn't peak, it doesn't cycle. Now, I know this but the guy he was telling this to looked like he was new to aquaria so it's probably a good thing I caught him and explained this to him. I also told him there was a ton of info on the internet and also made him aware of P-fury.

Hopefully he will visit this site before he kills his fish.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.