Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am only 18, so I know insurance is going to be high, but I was wondering what is a good company to check on for less expensive insurance. I have AAA with my parents right now (its still under my name) and I was paying 1800/year for a POS 92' s10 that only cost me 600 bucks. That was with PLPD also. I am looking into a new vehicle (Chevy 1500 Z71) and quotes I got are around 3500-4000 for full!!! Thats almost 340 bucks a month..! The truck payment is only gunna be like 150, so I'm pretty pissed. Anyways, please help me out..! Whats a good company for younger drivers, and what do You pay?

·
Quintessential 80s Guy
5,857 Posts
its going to be hard. i started with state farm when i was 19 and got discounts by having a GPA over 3.0, doing a safe driving progam (video/questionaire packet), and having renters insurance with the same company. luckily state farm gave me a huge discount on my premium, almost 50% off after i turned 21.

·
Skankzilla
18,320 Posts
Hey I work for an insurance company.

What you can do is a few things...

1) Get rid of full coverage, the more the coverage, the higher the premium
2) Discounts - what discounts are you able to get?
2a) Good student
2b) Multi car under parents policy
2c) Homeowners & Auto policy which will go under your parents name
3) Secondary driver
4) Get under your parents policy

Other things to remember are you are young, I do not know your driving record, points, tickets, violations, accidents,etc. Also if you're looking for a new vehicle, the higher the premium. Is it possible to get liability only if your state? Each state is different. What type of area are you in? That can also effect the premium. What type of engine are in these trucks? Anything over a 4 cyclinder sucks for teenagers.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1) Get rid of full coverage, the more the coverage, the higher the premium
2) Discounts - what discounts are you able to get?
2a) Good student
2b) Multi car under parents policy
2c) Homeowners & Auto policy which will go under your parents name
3) Secondary driver
4) Get under your parents policy

1- I am going to make payments, so Full Coverage is necessary
2- Not sure
2a-What do you mean?
2b- I am under parents policy with 3 other vehicles
3- I cannot be a secondary I dont think ...
4- Like mentioned before, I am.

·
Skankzilla
18,320 Posts
What are your grades, usually if you have Honors or on the Deans List you can get a good student discount.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts