Piranhas Forum banner

Innes' tips for planning a community tank

4K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Innes 
#1 ·
My tip for picking any community is you need to plan it out before hand!!!

you need to think about:

*the main fish - every tank has the fish you most like, when I was younger this was often a betta, but now it is sometimes a cichlid, or an eel or something that just impresses me so much - this is the fish that decides the size of fish in your community tank, you now have to think of tankmates that are compatible with that fish and each other

*area of the water - top, middle and bottom, try to fill all 3 areas, generally this is some catfish and some fish with mouth's pointing forwards, and some with upturned mouth's.

*colour - this is not as important as the other aspects, but it can be annoying when you realise all your fish are black or silver or yellow

*activities of the fish - some fish will not be very active, some are nocturnal, some bury themselves for most of their lives, some are territorial, some are just plain mean.
you don't want all of your fish to be shy of nocturnal as your tank will look empty, so if you have this problem add some shoaling fish or really active fish.

*add something other than fish - you might want a crayfish, crabs, frogs, newts, shrimp or any other aquatic creature that will not eat your fish, or be eaten.

See less See more
#14 ·
yeah I thought it might, at first I put one with chenise fire belly newts untill a few hours later one was dead with a missing leg.

do not underestimate the power of Arfican clawed frogs - thay can do some damage!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.