Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what's up...when i came home today i noticed that one of my p's got injured. it looks like he got a lil chunk taken out of him near his dorsal fin...do you suggest i treat him to a salt bath or should i just let him be...

·
Registered
394 Posts
How big of a chunk? Hope it's only a flesh wound... If it were me I would add aquarium salt to the tank. But, if youre really worried you can take him out and give him a salt bath. I would just add salt to the tank, and keep a close eye on things.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
if its only part of a fin then you should be ok with out any treatments although it could speed it up, as for part of the body you better treat it

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Isolate or it should be attacked, it must be removed for treatment in a hospital tank. Use marine or aquarium salt. 1 tsp. / 5 gallon and raise temp of the tank (up to 80-82 degrees).

If it fails, it's time to buy some medicines!

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
mr.hannibal don't mean any disrespect but i wouldn't recommand any marine salt cause it contain added buffers and chemicals that raise ph which could affect the p's.but you are right in taking care of it.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
chuha said:
...do you suggest i treat him to a salt bath or should i just let him be...
If you think it is bad then make a salt bath, if it looks good, and is healing nicely you don't need to bother.
you should have some salt n your tank already, but if not add either 1 teaspoon per 3 gallons or 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons, both are good, for a salt bath use 2 teaspoons per 1/2 gallon for up to 15 mins or untill the fish shows signs of stress.
If the other fish attack it further move it, but not unless.

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
It sounds like people are over reacting, these thing happen with piranhas. I would not do anything asside from maybe adding a little salt, however, I probably would just let it heal on its own.
This is what I would do, obviously people react differently to injuries. He did say it looked like a little chunk was taken out, I would act a little differently if it were a large chunk.

·
"The Dancing Banana Man"
7,760 Posts
yea, if its bad, try a salt bath, and isnt a slat bath not a bad idea anyway? it wont hurt them will it?

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
I dont think it would hurt them, but I do think it would cause unneeded stress. p's have amazing healing power, and dont need much help from us. I might add a little salt to help protect against an infection, but that is it.

·
"The Dancing Banana Man"
7,760 Posts
grosse gurke said:
I dont think it would hurt them, but I do think it would cause unneeded stress. p's have amazing healing power, and dont need much help from us. I might add a little salt to help protect against an infection, but that is it.
Ahh ok thanks

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
bobme said:
yea, if its bad, try a salt bath, and isnt a slat bath not a bad idea anyway? it wont hurt them will it?
it won't hurt as long as the fish is not in there too long, you need to remove after the first signs of stress, and don't leave it in for over 15 mins

1 - 12 of 12 Posts