Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
With piranhas it is common to find that one had been attacked, this can range from a fin nip to total destruction, also piranhas are also prone to slamming into things and hurting themselves - stupid fish

Fortunately piranhas have great healing abilities and fins can grow back in just a few days, also often serious wounds will also completely heal in a very short time period.

To help your fish recover you can add salt assuming you do not already have any (1 table spoon per 5 gallons) also melafix is a very good product that will also benefit your fishes recovery.

OK here are the pics:

This piranha has heater burn - this may leave a scar, but it will not cause any serious problem to the fish

These piranhas have been nipping each others fins - notice the bite marks.
This is very common and will have healed in a few days - no serious problem here.

This 9 week old piranha has been attacked, it has a bite mark on its back, and this will heal in a few days, it will also most likely leave a scar.

This piraya has been attacked on its side, and has a nasty wound.
This will heal, but it will also leave a scar, and may get infected -I would recommend using salt and melafix for this one.

This ternetzi has been attacked by its tankmates and has lost its entire tail - as the caudal peduncle has been damaged their is little chance this fish will ever have a tail again.
I'm not too sure if this fish was still alive, I doubt it is now.
If this fish did survive it would need to be kept with total non aggressive fish as it would certainly be killed by other piranhas.

·
Captain Britannia
4,819 Posts
if innes does not mind i will add a pic of my injured red.

this p was attacked by a piraya and another red you will see the fin nips and descaling of the sides which will heal.
the red did lose an eye which will not grow back this is probably one thing that p's cant regenarate
here you go

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DiXoN said:
if innes does not mind i will add a pic of my injured red.
I dont mind at all, in fact I encourage it, as I made this post using pics submitted in the sick fish pics thread by the PFury users, and the entire purpose of this post is to help people - the more the merrier

·
rhombeus
3,659 Posts
this is a pic of the male rbp guarding some eggs, it got a little wild this time around, salt already added just the waitng period now..........

·
Registered
370 Posts
This little guy got bitten first whenI put him into his new home.. It was a bite on its back, I was pissed off cause I thought he might die but its totally healed up now with a little help from salts..
Ryan

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Damn those fish got Fu$%#$ Up!!!

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
ya i have too rb and there about 3 to 4 inches but one is bigger thatn the other (wolverine) and this guy attacked my other one while i was in church and i got home and there he was .....with one eye ...
his name is now Cyclops
its been like a week or 2....anyone heard of this before? i need some help cuz i dont want him to die...

ill post a pic asap

·
Registered
135 Posts
can you have both melafix and salt in the tank at the same time? Will it cause any ill effects?

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Guerillah said:
can you have both melafix and salt in the tank at the same time? Will it cause any ill effects?
no, that is a good combination for helping injured fish

1 - 20 of 23 Posts