Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up everyone,

I posted a while back about putting a Gold Spilo in my 30g. I finally decided that's what I'm going to do! If anyone who owns a G. Spilo could give me any info you have on your fish that would be great. Example: how active is it, do you have a lot of decorations, do you take care of it the same as a pygo, etc.....

My lfs has one that's 3-4" for $39.99.....is this a good price?

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
IME, my spilo was a wuss, maybe because i didnt give them enough time to settle down before i sold him. Anyhow, most poeple will say their fish is the sh*t. Each fish's personality varies.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
go to aquascape online and order a 1" gold spilo thats were i got mine yes they are active they are more aggressive then any pygo and the price at aquascape is 15.00 for a 1" spilo it is a true badazz fish!!

·
Soft Machine
1,687 Posts
spilo's are great, for $40 buck pick it up, he could be a killer, or a p*ssy. They're like ninja's in the water, when they want to be.

you might have a better chance of him being a killer if you do get a small one.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So $40 isn't a bad price huh? Also, anyone know how long a Spilo lives and the biggest size one has grown in captivity?

·
Registered
44 Posts
$40 is a good price, plus you don't have to pay for shipping. Just make sure it is somewhat active. Nothing worse than getting a P that just sits in the corner. I've got a 6" in a 40 gallon breeder, its real active!

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
I would suggest you to pick him up if you can. Since you are planning on only keeping a solitary P in that 30, then a gold spilo will be a very good decision. I really dont have any personal experience with solitary spilos, BUT I do have a school of about 9 of them in a 180 gallon. They are quite active as a group.

~Dj

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
AzNP said:
2 spilos 1 wuss and boring (only active at night)
1 very active and aggressive in my bedroom
Good example of how different fish (of the same species) can vary in aggression and activity.

~Dj

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
One solitary 5 inch spilo here. Active and insane.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just picked up my new 4" G. Spilo about 3 hours ago.....so far he looks bad ass and is swimming around the tank. He does hide behind the plant now and then though, but it's his first day in a new tank. There were about 5 Spilos in a 29g at the lfs....this one was the biggest and had hardly any fin nips at all

I'm very pleased with my decision

·
Registered
502 Posts
Congrats dude!! I have a gold also in a 20g. I got mine about 2 inches for 20 bucks from my lfs. Mine is not too active unless there is food in there. He usually hangs behind the driftwood. He does chase my finger though. He is the badass of all my fish and doesn't take any $hit. He is about 3.5 inches now. The teeth on him are bigger than any of my fish at his size. I hope you enjoy your spilo as much as I enjoy mine!

·
RollingStone
3,771 Posts
Splios are nice i think there better then RB's Rb's are to boring spilos dam these things are Nice and Mean

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
i have a 3" one, its not as active as an eater in front of people as my rhom, but a very nice fish regardless. i paid $15 for a 1.5" one

1 - 20 of 22 Posts