Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, ever since one of my buddies got a piranha, I think I have been buying more stuff for it than he has. So I think I am finally gonna get my own.

I only have enough room for a 29 gallon tank with no room to upgrade so I am just gonna hafta stick to one p, prob a red belly. Will a 29 gallon be good for a long while since I can't go no bigger? I'll prob throw a pleco in there too. It should be fine I hope cause the red bellies at the lfs are just babies only .5"-.75" long.

I plan on buying the tank next weekend and putting a few cheap fish in there to get the cycling process started. Then I will pick up the p when it is finished cycling.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
The 29 gallon is 30" long right. A red belly by himself would be very lonely...if you have the finances might I suggest a juvenile rhom or better for life in that size tank would be a spilopleura which only get around 7-8 inches TL.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I'm not saying you can't do it...its just the species pygocentrus is a shoaling fish that are pack hunters and live together with many other piranha's and may be unhappy when kept alone. He may be inactive and unhappy by himself. What area are you located?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
thats closer to sharkaquarium or fishpost then me...I ordered my piranha from aquascapeonline and it arrived next day through airborne expressed and cost an arm and a leg for s/h but well worth getting a beautiful "alive" piranha. I ordered a rhombeus and ended up with a harder to find altuvei...luck was on my side there. Call up george at sharkaquarium or ron at fishpost or pedro at aquascape and see how much s/h would be and you can parouse their site to see what fish you like best.

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Agree, lonely Reds are to shy...don't hesitate and get the Spilo!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.