Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
allright i have been keeping pirhanas for about 1 and a half year i got tank with some big red belly's 20cm plus and i'm selling them to buy a small swhole and i'm gonna grow them from being just small to big

allright my setup is

517L tank blue painted background
i'm gonna use Shell sand (dunno if thats spelled right) its like the sand thats on the beach :D
on the bottom i'm gonna have light vegitation and some stones half bury'd in the sand maby 4-5 rocks
for air i'm gonna have 1 Rena 400 air pump
and i was thinking about setting up 1 rena xp3 pump (please tell me if i need more than that)
and 1 powerhead
and a 300w heater
i'm getting 12 3-5cm red belly's

can i please get some comments on what i'm doing wrong and what you think i should change about that so that i dont do anything stupid

forgive my spelling i'm crap at it

best regards
Baldur

·
AQHU RULES
4,609 Posts
sounds good...............and id say you need more than 1 xp3 filter...........

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sounds good...............and id say you need more than 1 xp3 filter...........
ok i thought so but i was thinking about getting 1 xp3 filter and then another 4 step filter that only pumps 400L p/h wich is mainly for the bacteria flow.... what you guys think ?

and i was wondering since i just got to know the price of the red belly's and i was thinking how many fish do you guys think the tank could hold is 12 to little or the absalout max how many could i put in and have them feel good ?

thanks
best regards Baldur

·
WWTCD?
9,785 Posts
You'll need more than a single 300w heater. That's simply not enough power, imo, to keep the temps even. Though I guess this depends on where the tank is and what the ambient temp in the room is.

I would advise against using the substrate that you mentioned. The reason for this is because shells will buffer the water and make it hard and alkaline. Piranhas come from an environment where the water is soft and acidic. You'd be better off looking for an alternative such as pool filter sand or play sand or something to this effect. It can be had cheap at places like Home Depot and Walmart (though you listing in L makes me wonder if you have those near you). Definitely check around and if you come across anything just ask here if it's safe to use in the tank.

I'm not an expert with red bellies but definitely think that 12 adults will eventually be too much. Though it would be beneficial to know the dimensions of the tank you're talking about as well.

Oh, and welcome to the site! You've just happened upon one of the best fish sites on the net!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You'll need more than a single 300w heater. That's simply not enough power, imo, to keep the temps even. Though I guess this depends on where the tank is and what the ambient temp in the room is.

I would advise against using the substrate that you mentioned. The reason for this is because shells will buffer the water and make it hard and alkaline. Piranhas come from an environment where the water is soft and acidic. You'd be better off looking for an alternative such as pool filter sand or play sand or something to this effect. It can be had cheap at places like Home Depot and Walmart (though you listing in L makes me wonder if you have those near you). Definitely check around and if you come across anything just ask here if it's safe to use in the tank.

I'm not an expert with red bellies but definitely think that 12 adults will eventually be too much. Though it would be beneficial to know the dimensions of the tank you're talking about as well.

Oh, and welcome to the site! You've just happened upon one of the best fish sites on the net!
I'm from iceland but i can buy cheap sand i allredy bought the sand but it only costed like 5 bucks so i can buy new one... but i have seen tanks with such sand (photos on this site) for the look i'm going for it would be great but is there any other sand i can get that looks similar or my other idea for sand was using black gravel.....

i'm currently using a 300w heater for the same size tank wich has 4 25cm red belly's and i just set the heater a little bit to hot than the setting says it should be and the temp is good to the best of my knowlige, the temp in the room is 18°...

the tank mesurments are 125 L 69 W 60 H

i know about that 12 adults would not fit in the tank but there proply will be some fall out from eating one another and if not i would sell em...

Thanks alot for the advice i belive i have found my forum home for my piranhas

1 - 7 of 7 Posts