Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i have had these 5 p's now for about a month and i've tried everything to get them to eat in front of me but they wont. right now i am currently doing the starvation method....putting a feeder in for a few minutes and if they dont eat it, i take it out and try again later. they haven't eaten a single morsal in about a week. even yesterday i put in a huge chunk of beefheart and...NOTHING, isn't beefheart one of their favourite foods? im going to list everything i have and maybe you can tell me whats wrong.

-5 red belly piranha's 5-6" in length
-100 gal tank 5'Long, 2'High, 18"Wide
-black gravel - big al's brand
-6 live plants, 2 fake
-big piece of drift wood
-cheap potting plant with one of the fake plants coming out for looks
-TETRAtec Deep Water Aquarium Air Pump, 12" airstone which are both not in use right now.
-RENA XP3 Canister Filter (rated up to 175 gal)....i put a nitrazorb pouch and some biomax filter media in the spare compartments in the filter.
-Aquaclear 802 powerhead (rated up to 75 gal)...just used for extra flow
- reptiglo 5.0 florescent bulbs
- heater which is right beside the inlet tube for my filter
-tank temp. is about 78-79F

any help would be greatly appreciated

thank you

· Registered
212 Posts
well , they are smarter than you think. On new years eve , my brother in law wanted to see them eat. I said , well , ill put some feeders in the tank ( i have 3 rb's in a 55. he said oh please , you talk like they can see us. I said , ok youll see. we shut all the lights out in the room , except the tank lights (very dim) they wouldnt eat. He was saying they were p*ssy's blah blah. We went to ring in the new year , 15 min's later we came back , all 4 feeders were gone. case closed , they are smarter than you yhink

· Registered
1,869 Posts
Dont get me wrong i like piranhas but they can piss you off sometimes.I mean some people talk about feeding them in a pitch black room while keeping still,all this just to watch the little pussys eat a bit of food.This is one reason why i had to get cichlids mine dont give a flying f*ck if theres 20 people standing in front of tank,they still eat the damn food.

· Registered
940 Posts
kyle put the feeders in shut off all light except tank light and stansd as far away from tank as possible so u can still see and they will eat
they cant see all the way across the room outta the tank
try that its the only way mine eat in front of ppl besides me
good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.