Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious if I went to Menards and bought two 24" shop lights and put fish tank bulbs in it, if it would be ok? Or would I have to just go out and buy the regular hood light for it?If the shop lights will work I am going to build a top for it and cover it in ash so it all blends in. Well I guess I will cover it no matter what light I get because I think the oak covering looks like crap. What kind of bulbs would you recommend for this?

I pasted this off of a topic that I started that nobody has replied to yet. I would like to at least know this today because I am going to build the top for it today.

Thanks for the help for whoever replies! ~Todd

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I found this light at Lowes CLICK HERE

And I found this bulb at Bigalsonine.com CLICK HERE

If I got these it would cost me less then $60. And I am going to make a canopy for it.
My question is would this work? Or would the light get to hot and cause problems?

·
Registered
703 Posts
I can't see the link (it asked for my zip code at lowes site and said it doesnt have that product in my store) anyways, are you going to have live plants? If not, then lights arent important, as piranha don't like bright light. You will probably have to dim the lights anyway. If you are going to have live plants, then someone else will have to answer that question, it would help though if you could post the wattage. Personally, I go for the 48" shop lights at home depot that are 6 bucks and get the full spectrum bulbs that are 3.50 for two, and get low light plants.

·
Oh, SNAP!
3,806 Posts
It should work, I did the same thing.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jamesdelanoche said:
I can't see the link (it asked for my zip code at lowes site and said it doesnt have that product in my store) anyways, are you going to have live plants? If not, then lights arent important, as piranha don't like bright light. You will probably have to dim the lights anyway. If you are going to have live plants, then someone else will have to answer that question, it would help though if you could post the wattage. Personally, I go for the 48" shop lights at home depot that are 6 bucks and get the full spectrum bulbs that are 3.50 for two, and get low light plants.
[snapback]941091[/snapback]​
It says that it takes t32 watt bulbs? So maybe ill have to find another...but my zip code is 61108 if you want to look. It the ~Lights of America 4' Stainless Steel Shop Light

I have thought about having live plants but I havnt made my mind up yet.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
I also have one tank with the lowes 48" strip lights.Works fine,not the best appearence wise.

Those bulbs will be fine, unless plants are involved, there are many different spectrum of lights to choose from.Really would depend on what look you like.
I dont dim any of my piranha tanks, I run double strip lights on all of them.

I cant see the lowes llink either, but anyrate the ones I got from there was like 15$ for 2 48" double strip shop lights.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts