Piranhas Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think instead of having members guess at piranha species on what they think it is, it should be left to the Piranha Science forum. Frank Magallanes should be able to tell us all what a species is if it is a good picture to look at.

Then there would be no debate or question. What do you all think? To me, (my opinion) all this quessing could give anyone the wrong information on their fish species.

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
I think that is a good idea.
Even a new forum only for the IDing of piranhas in the science section. It would also be a nice resource for people who dont know what they have.

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
Frank has said many times that IDing piranha through pictures is "at best, guessing". Once the conversion is made.....fishman2, can you gather the clearest most helpful pictures for identifying piranha and put them together for a new section? Lemme know.... ???

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think what would work is have Frank ID them and then we pin it or setup a special photo album. Frank btw is ok with it just as long as we know iding piranha photos is not his favorite thing to do. He runs about 98% accurate in many of the id's IF the photo is clear and the fish is positioned properly.

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
I think we should provide CLEAR pictures and distinguishing information in a forum to aid people in self IDing...if they feel they cant make a final decision by themselves, then they can ask Frank. This would cut down on the amount of requests Frank get, + make a cool addition to the future info section

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Frank loaned me his big binder (about 10 inches thick)
of common p descriptions I can use to add distingushing features for the better known ones.

yah a section like what you said would be cool. :nod:

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
I think we should provide CLEAR pictures and distinguishing information in a forum to aid people in self IDing...if they feel they "cant make a final decision by themselves, then they can ask Frank. This would cut down on the amount of requests Frank get, + make a cool addition to the future info section" - Xenon

Thats a great idea, where ever did you come up with that? :D

"Frank loaned me his big binder (about 10 inches thick) of common p descriptions I can use to add distingushing features for the better known ones." - fishman2

A description & as many pics as possable for self identification, and to help teach people what each type of piranha actially looks like, I can't wait untill that is set up.

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
Xenon said:
I think we should provide CLEAR pictures and distinguishing information in a forum to aid people in self IDing...if they feel they cant make a final decision by themselves, then they can ask Frank. This would cut down on the amount of requests Frank get, + make a cool addition to the future info section
That is what I meant when I said a resource for new people. They could look through the different ID's and only post if they sill have questions. But you go ahead and take credit for my idea Xenon, I always new you were a little shifty.
:D

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Did I not already suggest that ages ago? ???

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
fishman2

Innes, dont try to take credit for this. You know I came up with the idea when we were drinking a pint of Guinness after 18 holes at St. Andrews.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Frank isnt the only one around here that can properly ID a fish, many members here can ID most species of piranha very well, and as you said it is very hard to tell with pictures unless many from different angles and of high quality are taken

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
Well MYKA's Tutorial can be considered a "Dummys Guide to Piranha". It is very informative for the newbie. Right now the forum will include 2 things....

1. A non-posting forum that lists all species and has a clear description of their physical attributes (for self-identification)

2. Then there will be a forum for Unidentified piranha that improters get in to debate its true species.

3. A user section that will be devoted to the "What type of piranha do i have" questions.

These forums will have a very specialized audience and will have the support of some of the greatest "piranha" minds in the US....so stay tuned, it should end up being a great opportunity for this board...

On a side note, the piranha information section with newbie descriptions of all the species will be up after the conversion....this is just a section that will examine each species on a VERY high level. See Judazzz's page for a preview.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.