Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I posted a topic yesterday about one of my 8 inch reds having a whitish film coloring on him. Well I just saw the little white spots on his fins right now! So I know it is ick now
Now the question, WHAT TO DO?? I have a total of 3 reds and the other 2 are completely healthy, so I don't want him to die since that would leave me with only 2 reds in my 55. I don't have a seperate tank to put him in, WHAT DO YOU GUYS SUGGEST DOING??????????????

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
well since u dont have a hospital tank u obviously cannot remove any of the fish.

treat the entire tank for ick...be sure to remove any carbon u may have in the filter or the undergravel filter.

buy some ick gaurd.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
JesseD said:
well since u dont have a hospital tank u obviously cannot remove any of the fish.

treat the entire tank for ick...be sure to remove any carbon u may have in the filter or the undergravel filter.

buy some ick gaurd.

·
Hello Everybody!
2,049 Posts
The condition that you have described in your fish sounds like it could be chilodonella. Its size is quite a bit smaller than ich (in advanced cases, it looks like the fish was sprinkled with flour instead of grains of salt) but the tell tale sign is the excess mucus being formed (like the skin is shedding). It is potentially more deadly than ich and spreads quickly. Fortunately, like ich, it can be eradicated with salt treatment. Elevate your temp to about 80 - 82 degrees F and add salt. Leave the salt in there for at least two weeks and then you can remove it through water changes. When you do water changes during this two week period, replenish the salt content in proportion to the volume of water changed.

As for Ick Guard from Jungle Labs, I'm not sure of its active ingredient but most ich treatments contain malachite green. I would be very careful about treating piranhas, silver dollars, tetras and loaches with any med that has malachite green in it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for all your responses. I did a big water change today (roughtly 30 percent) which I had been lacking in it had been almost three and a half weeks. Well I also added the salt after the water change, and set the temp at a constant 81!! I'll let you know how they are all doing soon
Ohh after the water change they started swimming, and the sick looking one got some color back which is a good sign. Hope they all survive

·
Registered
63 Posts
ncith said:
Can a little oscar give my p's ick? Cause I just noticed that the little oscar I added about 2 weeks ago has it!!! Needless to say he's gone
yes. ich does spread

some salt should clean up that tank and kill any jerms that are in there. i still suggest that 30% water change aswell.

GOOD LUCK

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.