Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Truffle shuffle!!!!!!!
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just want to know what everybodies most desireably piranha species are and why.so when i get my new tank it will help me decide what to put in.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Do a quick search there are an endless number of polls and threads that ask this very same question. I dont want to sound like a prick, its just that you will find WAY MORE data to make the decision you are going to make, then what you will find in this single thead.

~Dj

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
reds4life said:
if the tank is big enough?, i would go with a small school of geryi
Ever own one before?

~Dj

·
Registered
5 Posts
my buddy does, and every time im over there its the only fish i can stare at for hours and wonder how cool it would be to have a few myself

ps- just for the record my freind has 1 solitary geryi, not a school

·
Registered
347 Posts
o snap its eric said:
i wish there were a dwarf speices of piranhas. if so i would love to have them. fit like 100 in a tank and watch them frenzy.
I believe there is. I don't know what they are, but they are fin nippers and scale eaters. Maybe someone knows what I talking about.

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Pygocentrus: Cariba
Serrasalmus: Rhombeus

You won't regret!

·
Registered
601 Posts
If you dont mind having a single fish in a tank go with the rhom.
But if you like numbers... go for a pygo mix or shoal of Piraya.

Either way you wont be dissapointed.

However... if you want to take a chance, I hear that successful Spilo Shoaling is awesome.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'd say P. Cariba.

I know people who have Rhom's who are hell of fun to watch zoom around the tank with a pissed off look on their face. I also know people who have rhoms that hide if you come into the room. I know tank size, exposure to people, and the right conditions play a role in your p's personality... but I've still always been scared to buy a "dud". Fear of spending alot of time and money raising a rhom to a large size just to have it sit there like it's been lobotomized.

Anyhow, I'd have to say Cariba is the funnest breed I've had personal experiance with. Nothing beats watching a schoal of Cariba's all tear into something. They fight over food like dog's fighting over a rag doll.

If you're low on cash , I've had no problems whatsoever with RBP's and Cabira in the same environment. The RBP's are alot more shy and the Cariba's are obviously dominate. Regardless, they all shoal together with no unusual fighting.

Good luck with the new tank.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.