Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
You want to copy them into a photo editing program to save as picture files (ie. jpeg, gif, bmp, etc)

Easy way to do this is open the word doc..copy the picture open Paint, file save as jpeg.

then...when u want to post...you can upload them here by adding attatchments to your post...

·
Registered
451 Posts
i use this site photobucket.com

ok make a acc on the site then you up load the pics on the site and when you want to post a pic you go on the site and copy the url # and where you type the message there is a icon looks like a picture you click on the and paste the url number there and enter

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks ill be adding to it very soon either a amazon boa, GTP or an asain green vine snake

dark FrOsT

·
~ATLANTA BRAVES~
18,086 Posts
Nice collection you got going there. I miss my ball python I used to have, but should be getting an albino one next year

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
how do those africans get along with the turtles?
actually ya they do and really well. i got those africans when i bought my 135 gallon tank for my piranhas. the guy was basiclly going to kill them so i just brought them home. i first introduced one just as a test cause i wanted to see what would happen they chased it around for like 2 mins and stop. then i put the rest in (5 more). one hasnt died yet and its been over a month since they have all been living together. i figure cause the male is the same size as the fish, the female is better then all of them. i also have 3 plecos in there 2 5-6 inch and on 2 inch. so far only one death it was to a pleco i watch one of the fish basiclly kill it then the turtles finished it off. but other then that its been great. i would remomend it, just make sure the fish are either bigger or the same size as the turtles

dark FrOsT

·
WWTCD?
9,785 Posts
I've been looking into getting a five foot or six foot long tank for my turtles. If I can manage to find a tank of that size then I'm going to introduce some Africans into the setup. Most likely more peaceful ones like yellow labs and what not - nothing too crazy. I'd of course add some rock work for them to hide in and breed and what not. I think it could turn out looking really good and provide the turtles with the occassional snack.

I first read about Africans in turtle tanks in a reptile mag some time last year when they had an all turtle edition.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i remember reading that as well in reptile magazine ... thats what i plan on doing aswell getting a 135 gallon tank to fit under th one i have and give them something really nice to swim in. just want to find a really good deal on one. the africian fish do really well with them and i think it adds a lot of beauty to the tank. i tried plants but the turtles ate them. when all said and done your turtle tank can look really nice ... just have to make sure you have lots of filtration.

dark FrOsT

·
WWTCD?
9,785 Posts
Filtration is always the key with a turtle tank for sure. They are messy buggers... Right now I keep my painteds in two separate 40 gal breeders. Each have internal filters and I do spot cleaning every couple of days. It's a bare bottom tank.

When I get my larger, full set-up going I am going to have a substrate for the Africans to dig in. I'm also going to custom make a couple of basking areas and a custom canopy as well for lighting (heat and uvb). I want to get some texas holey rock for the tank so that I can do a colony of smaller Africans as well. I think it would look really sharp.

Sorry to derail the thread DF! Just noticed I was doin' that...

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thats cool you gave me ideas to make my tanks better so your welcome to continue.

i made a custom screen lid, same one i made for my bearded dragon it works great i find. it sits on the insided lip of the tank i just but the uvb light across it and i clamp my heat lamp to the side. for substarte i recomend sand i used gravel before and hated it with a passion, switch to bare bottom with is by far the easiest to clean, but resently i put play ground sand in and i love it

that texas holey rock looks awesome if i can find it im going to use it for my turtle tank as well, i also have this nice size floating piece of wood thats to big for the tank now but when i up grade im using it for sure, not sure if im keep the stones i have in it now?

in my tank i use a canasiter filter that can run my 135 gallon tank, it cleans the tank so nicely,

do you think an upgrade to a 48 x 18 x 17 or a 48 x 18 x 21 be good enough for 2 red reared sliders for life? i cant really go any taller cause i need it to fit under my 135 i could go longer but im kinda thinking i want to keep a tank beside it

what are your thoughts
dark FrOsT

·
WWTCD?
9,785 Posts
Simply get as much swimming space as possible. I personally prefer taller tanks for turtles because you'r not filling it up all the way. But whatever is manageable!

For the holy rock... Depending on the size of your turtles be careful what size the holes are. Otherwise the turtle may get stuck in a hole and drown.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thats true .. well i have that float piece of wood for them to bask on they can swim under it, all i need to do is figure a way to make hiding spots for the fish but not use up all the turtles swimming area.

dark FrOsT

·
WWTCD?
9,785 Posts
The wood may become waterlogged after some time in the tank at which point it's going to sink. Unless it's cork.

A really good thing to use for basking for turtles that looks natural is that cork bark stuff they sell at pet stores. It's all natural and looks great. Expensive, but worth it if you're going for an 'environment' look... In the previous tanks I had cut it so that I could wedge it between the glass from front to back and the turtles could go up and onto it from the water. It worked amazingly. Then they still had the underside to go swimming through.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i think it is cork bark cause the guy had it floating in his tank for i think he said a year and it still floats ... its super light and really easy to brake (thats the best way to describe it). the best part is, its fairly long to so both turtles can be up the at the same time. what can i use for hiding spots for the fish can you get the holy rock in smaller sizes or would you suggests something else

dark FrOsT

1 - 20 of 37 Posts