Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
i bought a kh/gh combo test strip kit today.i am using a combination of ro/tap for my water.i get a acceptable ph level with 7 and 8 liters of ro to 1 liter of tap water.i tested 7 and 8 liters of ro to 1 liter of tap water with the kh/gh kit and my kh was between 100 to 120ppm and my gh was around or just above 25ppm.according to the test kit my gh is too low.i also for the hell of it tested the kh/gh for 6,7, & 8 liters of ro to 1 liter of tap water and got the same gh 25 ppm level.how could this be? what is the acceptable kh/gh level for piranhas?can a piranha live happily with a gh of 25ppm?

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,000 Posts
Your kH is perfect. I assume your pH is around 7.2 and stable. Your gH is a little low but that is ok. If your fish are babies than i would build up your gH just a bit to get it around 5 dGH. General hardness is important in juvi fish to build up there skeletal structure. Adding decor that leaches hardening salts is one way to increase hardness. Limestone is a perfect example. This may also increase your kH. You can try a little less RO and see what results you get out of that first.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Your kH is perfect. I assume your pH is around 7.2 and stable. Your gH is a little low but that is ok. If your fish are babies than i would build up your gH just a bit to get it around 5 dGH. General hardness is important in juvi fish to build up there skeletal structure. Adding decor that leaches hardening salts is one way to increase hardness. Limestone is a perfect example. This may also increase your kH. You can try a little less RO and see what results you get out of that first.
thanks for your input.the thing is, i tried several different ro to tap water ratio's and got the same 25 gh level.how could this be?maybe a bad batch of testing strips?thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.