Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today when I went to feed my p's, I noticed a small round dot on one of my plants. At first, I thought that it was just a whole in the plant. But as I looked, it started to move. I've had my tank and my p's for a little over 3 weeks and never once saw a snail. Should I be worried? Or is this normal? I've read that they can be a menace as they breed like crazy and are hermaphrodites. Could they cause any harm to my p's and if so, how do I eliminate them?

Here's a pic

·
Registered
242 Posts
If your Ps are still small 2inches or less, you may consider adding a clown loach. But, be forewarned that it may become lunch for your Ps. Clown Loaches LOVE snails. I added a few to my tank when my reds were very small to take care of my snail problem. If you don't eliminate your snails now, they'll eat your plants and overpopulate in no time at all.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I just recently got a snail problem in my tank. I killed about 15 little tiny snails this morning by cruching them. Does anyone know a way to get rid of all of them? A loach wont last a minute in my tank.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
You could try a Rapheal Cat, if you have enough hiding spaces: mine do a great job keeping the amount of snails to a minimum in my redbelly tank.
Another thing you could try is putting a piece of cucumber, apple or similar in your tank, and take it out as soon as it's covered with snails: works magic for some, doesn't help at all for others, but worth a try, I'd say.

btw: do you squash the snails inside your tank? If so, do you remove the carcasses? Dead snails, just like other remains, pollute the water, so I'd be a bit careful with that!

Anyways, good luck to y'all... :smile:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Judazz, you're a genius and it jogged my memory on something. I took a coffee cup, put it in the water, and poured some shrimp pellets in it. Set it at the bottom of the tank and left it overnight. In the morning it was FULL of snails. I tossed them out in the yard and started over. After nights I probably killed at least 200 snails.

And Rafaels eat snails??
I didn't know that, maybe that's why my snail problem never returned. I have some big ones in there, but no little ones for at least 3 months.

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
piranhabar said:
Judazz, you're a genius and it jogged my memory on something. I took a coffee cup, put it in the water, and poured some shrimp pellets in it. Set it at the bottom of the tank and left it overnight. In the morning it was FULL of snails. I tossed them out in the yard and started over. After nights I probably killed at least 200 snails.

And Rafaels eat snails??
I didn't know that, maybe that's why my snail problem never returned. I have some big ones in there, but no little ones for at least 3 months.
yikes... i eat snails..

and yes they do..they will take care of some of the populations.

·
Registered
477 Posts
ya when i got a plant from the lfs and got it in my talk i saw one was gana get him out but he got away and i was doing a water change yester day and found him he wint from like the sise of a bb to about half a pinny not shure if i'ma take him out there if only one so not to worried.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Kill it. Kill it now.
The damned things will overpopulate your tank in NO time. Seriously, they're a pain in the @SS and will eventually eat your plants too. I like pacus more than snails and I hate pacus.

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I only saw one and when i did my water change today i kept looking for it but couldnt find it. I think I will try the coffee with shrimp pellets method and see what happens...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Good luck to you. I hope you can rid yourself of the damned things before it's too late. Supposedly there's a solution that you can dip your plants in before you put them in your tank, but the people at my lfs had no clue what it is. Perhaps somenoe can shed some light on this.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.