Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never used a wet dry, and know nothing about them. However, I have heard from numerous sources that they are the best way to go for big tanks. I think I found a good filter, but I dont know what I need. Does this include everything I need for filtration or is there stuff I need to buy in order to make this work?

Here is the info on the filter I want to buy:

Aquaclear Aquatics Pro 200 Wet/dry Filter W/prefilter
A must for any aquatic ecosystem.
Wet/Dry Filters enhance biological filtration as well as mechanical filtration.The Aquaclear Wet/Dry Filtration Systems can reduce your maintenance timeand do a much a better job than traditional filters.

Includes Pre-filter, Bio-Balls, and all tubing. Bio balls need little maintenanceand no replacement.

Features:
Protein Skimmer Placed Before Biological Media
Pump Included for Operation of Skimmer
Bio-Balls Biological Media Included
Colored Black Pre-Filter Unit (Hides dirty pre-filter), Siphon Tube and Foam Pre-Filter Tube
Three Foot Heavy Duty Spiral Drain Hose (easy assembly requires no extra hardware or sealants.
Thick non kinking return hose
Heavy Duty Non-warping lid
Directional Return Spout
Foam Water Polishing Block
Ventilation Holes in Bacteria Chamber Promotes Gas Exchange
Constant Water Level Area for Mounting of Heaters and Probes
Protein Skimmer Removes Easily for Cleaning, While System Remains Operational
Lifetime Warranty against Defects in Material Or Workmanship

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
I'd like to know some facts and opinions on this subject also. I've been thinking real hard about getting a wet/dry, so I'll be following up on this post.

·
"The Dancing Banana Man"
7,760 Posts
if its not drilled its going to be harder, wont it?
if its glass you might not be able to drill it

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
I am working on an overhead wet dry, it will function just as well as normal one, except it sits on top of the tank lid, and will be low in height yet long

you wouldnt need as expensive as a pump either since the head height will be much lower, I am guessing I can make them for (40-60) dollars, without the pump, and bio media, but everything else needed like 10ft of tubing, drip plate, bulkhead

that would be the cheap easy way to go for non drilled tanks

2 drawback though, you cant put your heaters in it like you can sump version, and it will be in plain site (i Can get colored acrylics for extra to make it look better)

I really dont plan on them being to tall so you dont see much of it

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Good point GG, somebody could easily do that

I plan to make the filter less than 8" tall so a canopy should work in most cases, however if you already have a canopy I can make it as short as needed

as for your question
wet drys are best for freshwater because they provide superior amounts of biological filtration which is really the only important filtration, all mechanical filtration does is remove floating debris, the nitrifing bacteria colonies that live on the bio media takes the ammonia and nitrites and turns them into the safer nitrates, wet drys, do the best job of this process and thats what all filters are supposed to accomplish

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
by looking at the info above, is there anything else that I need to get or does that kit include it all? Once again I am not familiar with wet drys but I am starting to think they are the way to go. Here are couple non related questions...

Are they loud? Are they easy to install? Are they easy to clean? How do you clean them? How many tubes are going into the tank and how should I position them? I dont want them to stick out, I want to have the most naturally looking tank possible.

·
Piranha Expert
4,309 Posts
TRY DRILLING A GLASS TANK. make a video of it and post it on here. so we can all laugh at you.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
once again marco I dont know anything about installing or running a wet dry, so I wouldnt even think of trying to drill a tank myself. BTW, does my tank need to be drilled for my wet dry? if not, how do I do it without a drilled tank?

·
Piranha Expert
4,309 Posts
i believe you have to have a drilled tank for a wet/dry. yes.

i apoligize for the rude comment. im an ass.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have a the same brand only for a 75 gallon on my 55g tank. The prefilter hangs inside the tank and uses gravity to draw water into the filter below, which is filtered, then pumped back into the tank via a different return hose. The prefilter box shouldn't require any drilling. I don't know about the pump for the protein skimmer, mine does not have that. However, you may need to buy the pump for the return flow, which will cost anywhere from 30 to 60 bucks.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Good posts and opinions.. Im swinging more to get a wet/dry pretty soon!! whoo hoo!!!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Your tank does not have to be drilled to have a wet/dry. There are plenty of hang on overflows you can buy and place in your tank that will work for what you need. If its not predrilled this is the way to go IMO rather than risk losing structure and strength of your tank by drilling it yourself.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
If you're willing to spend some extra cash on filtration ()and with a piranha tank, I'd recommend you to do just that), buy an Eheim filter. The are extremely efficient, quiet (well, I guess German "Grundlichkeit" says it all
), but are pretty costly. But you won't regret it at all (and there's no need to drill your tank...).

I don't know what size your tank is, but a good filter is the Eheim Classic 2217 canister filter, which turns over about 250 gph, and is not the most expensive one in the Eheim range. Perhaps you could add aonther filter as well, to complement your filtration system.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.