Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my rb's are so skittish they will not come out to swim around or eat or do anything. i have three of them in a 55g tank. all they do is hide in this tree stump together and wait for the lights to go off. i have the tank in a fairly high traffic area and ive dimmed the lights with aluminum foil and my water temp is about 80-81. would it be a good idea to take out the stump for a while or would this be stressful. by the way my reds are about 2 or 2 1/2 inches long, but theyre growing nicely. thanks for your ideas.

·
Registered
616 Posts
My rbp's are pretty skittish as well...but they have gotten better the more that they have gotten used to their environment.I also come up to their tank kinda slow and that seems to help alot.Just not making any quick movements.Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
dithers work well for this as well, try turning room light on before the tank light and no sudden movements...
...I have found the use of a mirror to activly increase the movement as well, give this a shot too :
:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i had them a little under a month, make little movement as i come up to the tank seems to make no difference because they are never out to see me come up to it.

·
Beautiful One
8,799 Posts
I agree with snow.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Most Ps hate light. You just have to spend more time with your Ps and let them get used to the light as well as your presence. My old RBs were skittish with or without the lights until they got to 5". After that.. you can turn on the lights, look straight at them or even put your finger in front of the tank for them to come closer to. But my new RBs that are 7-9" are skittish with or without the lights. I recently got these, but I know it'll take time and more time spending in front of the tank for them to get used to.

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
try putting the lights on a timer my p's dont even flinch when the light comes on and with the other skittish behaivour you will have to persevere and give them time keep doing the things you are doing as you are correct they will get more used to you spend as much time with them as possible also good luck
dixon

·
Registered
4 Posts
my 3" rbps freak out and nearly jump out of the water everytime i go near them or lift the hood.is it a problem or is it normal?ive had em for 3 monce

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Just a matter of time, be patient, they will change their attitude!

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
well i just got baby RB's under an inch (keeping for my friend) and thy arent scared of light at all. they dont flinch much but yes they are skittish when i come to the tank. they all run to the back of the tank and flip out or hide inbetween the heater and filter intake. but after 30secs or so and im looking at them they slowly come back out and continue doing their own thing. but if i make a sudden movement or any sort they will go right back to flipping crazy style. its a generalization that all P's are skittish espically when young. so my recommendation to you is that to bump up the temperature. i forgot to mention that my tank was at 80 before and they were bold. they dont flinch when i come to the tank. but recently i set it to 75 and they are much more skittish. otherthan that just keep doing what your doing. cheerios!

in your case try bumping it up to 85 SLOWLY. some P's are tolerable at that temp. some not. my old rhom however was cool with a water temp of 85 and so was my spilo. haha my gf told me to do this my my old skittish rhom was to put a enlarge photo of your face on the tank for a couple of days. that why the P will get used to your face. i never tried it but i thought it was funny. if the RBs in the future become a puss i will try it. you can also put something that moves constantly like a child play toy and leave it on all the time in front of the tank. i dont know if those ideas will work but hey! its a O SNAP ITS ERIC theory.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
o snap its eric said:
my old rhom however was cool with a water temp of 85 and so was my spilo. haha my gf told me to do this my my old skittish rhom was to put a enlarge photo of your face on the tank for a couple of days. that why the P will get used to your face

its a O SNAP ITS ERIC theory.
Dang, you had him in an 85 degree temp?!?!?
How did he tolerate it?

Also, have you tried and what was the outcome "O SNAP ITS ERIC" theory?? I'd like to try if it does work!! Funny
, but if it works.. then HEY!!!

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
I wouldnt recommend putting the tank up to 85 degrees at all. Give it time. This is the only advice that will work. They are still getting used to their new home, the lights, the traffic, etc. As they grow up they should get better until then put the lights on a timer so they can get used to them a bit.

Oh yeah, and Snow, never tried the mirror, Im gonna try that when i get my tank set up.

Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts