Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
alright, i have a 150 gallon aquarium with 2 giant snakeheads in it, i plan to get rid of this by about march - april, due do the size they will become and the small size of my tank. anyways,

i just bought a Elongatus piranha about 6.5" and he is absolutly gorgous, he is currently held in a 38 gallon tank.

while i was at the petstore i noticed they have my 2nd dream fish, a 3" African Golaith Tiger Fish. they are already showing signs of exrteme aggresson.

k now, here is my game plan. tell me if you would do it any different, now i dont want 3 tanks permanently so yea..

for now, snakeheads till they reach about 26" (may-april) in the 150 gallon,
elong in a 38 gallon tank,
buy an additional 55 gallon long, and buy a single african tiger fish (solitary fish as well)

wait until may or april, take the snakehead out and hopefully sell him,
take the ATF out and put him in my 150 gallon, hopefully with some other fish, maybe a stingray so long as he wont kill him.
move the Elongatus into the 55 gallon long,

sell the 38 gallon tank.

end result, ATF in a 150 gallon for a good 2 years. with whatever other fish i can put in the tank with him, and the Elongatus will easily live in the 55 gal long for life.

so what do you guys think? would you do any different? if you had a 150 what might you put in instead of a ATF? my other though was 2 stingrays' 2 arrowanas, and maybe some exodons or something.

someone help me out, so i dont have to talk about this all day with my gf and get smacked every 10 min

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
personaly I like to keep a fish that it hard to find and get around here and snakehead is one of them..keep that thing man..or ship it to me :laugh:

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
personaly I like to keep a fish that it hard to find and get around here and snakehead is one of them..keep that thing man..or ship it to me :laugh:
i want to keep him as long as i possibly can, bieleve me. but i mean how long can you keep a fisht hat grows to 3 feet, in a tank thats only 6 feet long

he has grown from 3" - 20" in 8 months.

·
Registered
523 Posts
lol what do you need help with ur plan seems perfect, if you can keep the snakes i would deff try to do that, if not i would not complain with what ur going to end up with. great set up plans

·
Innes is da Man!
5,907 Posts
if your GF is sick of you talking about fish, just get rid of her, unless shes like amazing in the sack

·
Registered
750 Posts
Agreed, you do realize you will probably never have another sneakhead again right? Live sneakheads are illegal in all 50 states and most of europe.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
snakeheads are legal here, i see em all the time. pet stores have a hard time selling them i could buy a 20" snakehead for like $20 cdn. its crazy. i just dont have the tank space for them, and i never will. need like 400 gallons +

what could i keep with a ATF? like anything at all?

would it work with a stingray or is that crazy?

·
Registered
750 Posts

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts
STOP

You do realize that your tank is nowhere near large enough for an ATF right?
They very quickly grow to 36" for the vitattus and upwards of 5' for the goliath. they are openwater swimmers and have teeth that make piranhas look like neons.

Realistically you should not consider a ATF unless you can swing at least about 600-2000 gallons.
Or a 10' round pool would be ideal.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
im obviously not keeping them until he is huge. it will be about the same as my snakehead before i have to get rid of him, which is about 25-27"

maybe smaller wih the atf cuz they swim more. my snakeheads are getting lazier as they are growing.

im not stupid i know how big the atf get, and i know that i could have a good 18-24 months before i have to get rid of him. so whats the problem?

go back to red bellies? dont think so, or spend $600 on caribe's?

·
Is a Boss.
4,236 Posts
i would just stay away from the ATF if you arent going to keep him for life. by having to get rid of him you run into the exact problem your running into here. just my opinion.

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts
im obviously not keeping them until he is huge. it will be about the same as my snakehead before i have to get rid of him, which is about 25-27"

maybe smaller wih the atf cuz they swim more. my snakeheads are getting lazier as they are growing.

im not stupid i know how big the atf get, and i know that i could have a good 18-24 months before i have to get rid of him. so whats the problem?

go back to red bellies? dont think so, or spend $600 on caribe's?
I'm sorry but this is somewhat irresponsible as a pet owner.
Planning on keeping it to a certain size is just recipie for disastar.
Because with fish like these once they get too big for your big tank where do you expect to pawn him off?
Most public awuariums are not setup to take on this kind of fish nor are they interested in them.
And if you a fish "enthusiast" cannot deal with the fish where else does it have to go?
If you cannot deal with keeping a pet for its whole life then just don't get it. get a p. Are red bellys and Caribe the only fish you can think of? With over all the badassed fish in existance that would be more suitable for that size tank is there nothing you can find? Or are you only considering the most extreme of fish?

·
These colours don't run !
4,895 Posts
get a new g/friend first then get all the fish you want..

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Because with fish like these once they get too big for your big tank where do you expect to pawn him off?
Most public awuariums are not setup to take on this kind of fish nor are they interested in them.
And if you a fish "enthusiast" cannot deal with the fish where else does it have to go?
If you cannot deal with keeping a pet for its whole life then just don't get it. get a p. Are red bellys and Caribe the only fish you can think of? With over all the badassed fish in existance that would be more suitable for that size tank is there nothing you can find? Or are you only considering the most extreme of fish?
[/quote]

what else do you have in mind? im not into cichlids, stingray's are alright, but even they get huge.

you seem to misunderstand me, if i wanted to keep something for life i would get a dog. as far as fish, i get bored with em after a while. so why not get something that i can get 2 years of enjoyment out of. then get rid of him when im sick of him.

and people around here have HUGE tanks, i know 3 guys alone with 400+ gallon tanks that are pure predatory. thanks for comin out tho

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
what else do you have in mind? im not into cichlids, stingray's are alright, but even they get huge.

you seem to misunderstand me, if i wanted to keep something for life i would get a dog. as far as fish, i get bored with em after a while. so why not get something that i can get 2 years of enjoyment out of. then get rid of him when im sick of him.

and people around here have HUGE tanks, i know 3 guys alone with 400+ gallon tanks that are pure predatory. thanks for comin out tho

[/quote]

shocker does have a point. u talk like you'd keep every fish u obtain. who tha hell does that. i bet u that u've gotten rid of ur fish too.

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts
shocker does have a point. u talk like you'd keep every fish u obtain. who tha hell does that. i bet u that u've gotten rid of ur fish too.
Responsible pet owners do.
And you would lose that bet.

As to your statement shocker. Are these guys you know with 400+ gallons willing to take on a fish that will most likley kill whatever they have in their tanks?

I think everyone on this site is "into predators" as you put it.
But perhaps you should consider animals that do not live for many many years. Maybe you should consider them the same as dogs as they live just as long.

If you want something that will not out grow your tank maybe you should consider Dwarf Snakeheads or dwarf Wolf fish or at least snake heads that are not the largest of all SH's. Small variant Payara if you could find one. Dats are also very cool fish.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts