Piranhas Forum banner

I got golds

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  InSinUAsian 
Your young spilos will grow about an inch a month. I got my 10 at about 1-1.5 inchs, and within a month I could tell the 65 they were in was getting too small. Had to move them to a 180. Since I got them on Jan.15th at 1-1.5 inches, they have grown to about 3-3.25 inches. That 20 long is not gonna be able to house them for very long. Quite soon you will see alot of aggression. Spilos in a school setting will grow fast. Almost as fast as pygos.

Hope you are prepared. I would say that 6 spilos would outgrow a 20L when they get to be about an inch or so (about a month, give or take a week or two). For life, if you were hoping to keep all 6, I would not recomend anything smaller then a 125. They need more room then pygos, so the 20 gallon rule (although not recomended for even pygos) is far less then needed when you have a small tank. They are just too aggressive toward each other. Have a hospital tank ready, just in case.

~Keep in mind these are my opinions/experiences. Other members have had luck keeping spilos in different setups. Find what works for yours, and go with that.~

I did a write up on schooling spilos about a month ago. I think that i posted it here, but i know for sure I did over on PFISH.net. Do a search for my username and you will find it. Hope it helps, and good luck.

~Dj

When schooling spilos, I have found recently (past few weeks) that having constant goldfish in the tank with them is not necessarily needed. I got tired of throwing in 5 sometime 10 large feeders, then 15 minutes later fishing out 5 sometimes 10 fish heads. In my case, feeders didnt last long enough to become purely "chasing object".

The spilos do chase each other, but I have found that in the larger tank, this does not usually turn into anything serious. Just a quick chase, and one will retreat to the opposite side of the tank. I think that is key in raising a nice active school of spilos that does not merely sit in one place due to overpacking, is a large tank. Despite the fact that my spilos are only 3 inches or so (perhaps a little more) I am starting to feel that if I were to keep all 10, I would definately need something larger then a 180 for life. Perhaps on the order of a 360 or somthing like that. From the looks of how things are turning out, (aggression and size wise) I would be happy to end up with only 4-5 large full size (breeding??) spilos. And even that is hopeful wishing on my part. Perhaps when they all get a little bigger, they will calm down a bit.

~Dj

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.