Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone ever get the feeling that your fish are watching you? Sometimes if we're just sitting on the couch watching TV, the fish will sit (float?) right next to each other, about an inch apart, and look at us. They sit like this for a long time, then they'll swim around and settle down and stare out again. I figured they were just sleeping or something, but someone pointed out that they always face out, looking at us; they never face inwards, looking at the wall...

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Yeah its natural. I betcha they're asking each other the same question.

Its like you wonder sometimes how it would feel to be in the tank swimming with them. And they wonder how it'd feel like to be outside in the tank chasing you around.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Maybe they are just conditioned to think that whenever they see you it means it's chow time. Whenver I approach my tank they race to the top hoping something tasty will drop in.
On very rare occassions one or two have even tried biting my 2-1/2 year old through the glass. Her height is where her head is at eye level to the middle of the tank.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
I will peak around the corner and watch my fish sometimes before I come into the room. Sometimes when they are chasing eachother and stuff. As soon as I walk into the room and they see me they stop what they are doing and come to the front to see whats going on.

My female that died on Christmas used to come to the corner and watch me do homework when I had my tank next to my desk

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Sir Nathan XXI said:
I will peak around the corner and watch my fish sometimes before I come into the room. Sometimes when they are chasing eachother and stuff. As soon as I walk into the room and they see me they stop what they are doing and come to the front to see whats going on.
Same here: as long as they haven't noticed me, they just do their piranha thing.
But as soon as they have spotted me, they just start eyeballing me, following me around the room (especially when they're hungry). When I'm in the kitchen, which is located to the left of my tank, they all hang out on the left tank side. When I'm sitting behind my desk (to the right), they're all in the right side. And when I'm watching the tube lying on the cough (which is located in front of the tank), they all hang out all over the tank, but still continue to check me out...
I must say it gives me the creeps sometimes: I just wonder wheter they're just curious, or if they're contemplating how to rip me to shreds once they get the chance

·
Beautiful One
8,799 Posts
Mickey watches Kevin and I when we sleep, I will wake up and he will just be floating there staring. Kinda freaky sometimes.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
MAD piranhas said:
It makes me feel loved that they would pay so much attenion to me.
Are you a bit lonely, MAD

But you're right: it's pretty rewarding to take care of such interactive fish (and yes, I know cichlid owners will say cichlids are much more interactive, tame, more character and blabla bla blabla bla...., but I don't like cichlids, so just zip it
)

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
My Elongatus and Ternetzi are the most interactive fish I have, both will follow me side to side if I walk past the tank. And as many of you know the Elongatus follows my finger and tries to tear it off through the glass. The Elongatus darts to the front of the tank as soon as it can see me

1 - 17 of 17 Posts