Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i went down to the LFS today, i got 3 times the value for my p's than what i payed for them which is wicked.

for my 125 gal tank.. i purchased.

3 Jag Cichlids (3 to 3.5 inches long) 1 seems darker and bigger, im hoping he's a male.. not sure what im looking for?
can anyone lend a hand in sexing them, when should i be able to tell? do you want to see some pics? there is definantly some darker markings on the larger one and has a bit of a different pattern to teh otehr 2 that are the same.

i also got 2 texas cichlids and 2 tiger oscars

i know im going to have to trade in the oscars if they are picked on and the other tank mates too maybe, but you never know right? i have another 200 gal tank available to add south americans if need be.

i saw a red tail cat fish at the pet shop today too 3" long, looked soo cute. i'd love to have one

·
^word
4,324 Posts
Well don't get too excited. You are going to need to move of all those fish except one of the Jags (and if your lucky, perhaps you will have a pair).

RTC's are great fish until they eat all your other fish and get about 4' long.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya, i did buy these fish knowing that i will eventually have to make some moves. and that is totally fine. i would have only purchased 1 jag. but i really wanted to make sure ihave a big male.

i will keep an eye on the tank and make moves as required' they are really sweet fish.

the jags are so much more streamlined and are more agile when eating than the oscars. its neat to watch

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts
huh? 1 jag to a 125? lol. you can easily stuff all 3 in a 125. even if one pair decide to breed the texas's will prove to be dithers. Id say get rid of the oscars. (mostly cause I just don't like them) Since they will get larger then everyone and be pigs.

The RTC however is a no no. they get well over 3 feet.

·
Banned
14,902 Posts
the jags should be fine in a 125, however i wouldnt start raising several cichlids in there. all the fish you named, even the texas, will become large and agressive enough where your tank might suffer from territorial disputes. stick to one species or thin some numbers out when their size demands it. either way ANY of those fish you now have will bring you years and years of enjoyment, much more than any piranha ever would!
i myself switched from piranha to cichlids purely for the obvious reasons. i love sizable fish that have personality. piranha are beautiful fish, but often fall short of what i like to see in my tanks.
i always recommend species tanks since they provide the safest way to enjoy any one fish. if i was you i would stick with the jags and give the texas and oscars a home to themselves.

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
I dont know about sticking to one species. I like doing that but a lot of people like variety. Sticking to one species often leads to just having a pair. Which is cool... but a mix is cool too. As mentioned, oscars might not be able to keep up and if they do they'll be eating/pooping machines.

The red tail cat.... man... I've been tempted too but you really need to avoid that unless it's in a tank/pond by itself.

·
Banned
14,902 Posts
^ agreed. red tailed cats grow to massive sizes. perhaps going with a sure buy is your best bet. i never recommend fish that out grow tanks for anyone even if your intention is to upgrade. seldom did anyone i know upgrade a tank for a fish. its much easier to neglect its needs. stick to what you can support

·
Registered
578 Posts
I started My Midas in a 2 galloon
.....He then has been upgraded to a 20 gallon....then to an 80 gallon.....and now hes in a 240 gallon. Thats how chichlids do it. they suck you in and they are the best fish to keep IMO. I jus keep seein the P fans die off one by one and go to cichlids. I have multiple tanks and they are all filled with cichlids except one Gold Diamong Rhom. The Jags you got are very small still and will take time to get really big to where you would have to thin out......and if you have a 200 gallon on deck you are just fine. You might have good luck keepin the together for a while....especially since they are all still small and introduced into the tank at the same time.......that helps alot. I also like different speices in my tank.

Anyways....welcome to the cichlid side and you have started out with some good ones. 2 of my favortie which is the Jags and Texas. This is just the beginning for you. Good luck with your fish. Let me know if you need any advice at any time. I have probly been there and done that before......whatever it is

2,170 Posts
Eventually you will have to decide whether you are going to try to do a mixed community of aggressive cichlids, or keep a breeding pair. The increased aggression from a mating pair (or jags or texes) may be too much for the general peace of any community setup to handle. As for sexing the jags, just wait until they get a bit bigger and more mature, the males are easily distinguished by their white, spotted coloration, while females tend to have a more yellowish coloration.

·
Registered
524 Posts
From my experience, jaguars cichlids grows really fast and in less than a year. You will have to decide which jag to keep and its tankmates or the jag will decide for you.
BTW, you did an excellent choice. Jag is up there in the cichlid world when it comes to personality and appearance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts