Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Giovanni posted some threads about this a little while ago and on it i bragged about having a few snails but not being overrun yet. Well, it happened. My 2 snails spawned at least 15 offspring that I can see now....I got back from Columbus OH to see them crawling all over my 10g tank..... Those little buggers are just going to have to get used to it there, because I am not going to bother taking them out.

·
im offended and this is tastless,take it down &#33
4,277 Posts
heres an idea X........ DONT ADD SNAILS !!!!!! lol

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Use Snail-icide...kill them all!

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
piranha45 said:
do cichlids eat snails?
do they ever.... i only have snails inside of a clear plasric intake tube at the other end for my UGF where they cant get them ...
cichlids will munch them up no problemo

·
Sex Kitten Lover
358 Posts
Just read this the other day, thought I would share, from Aquarium Fish mag:

The last choice is to use poison. It's a dangerous choice, however. Snailicides use copper sulfate as an active ingredient, which may harm plants or fish if improperly dosed. The efficacy of copper sulfate also varies greatly with water hardness, and it may take more than one dose. A further risk of using a snail-killing compound is that dead snails may pollute the tank.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Frank was saying that snails cant cope with a pH much lower than 6.7 -

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
giovanni82 said:
Just read this the other day, thought I would share, from Aquarium Fish mag:

The last choice is to use poison. It's a dangerous choice, however. Snailicides use copper sulfate as an active ingredient, which may harm plants or fish if improperly dosed. The efficacy of copper sulfate also varies greatly with water hardness, and it may take more than one dose. A further risk of using a snail-killing compound is that dead snails may pollute the tank.
Very true to an extent.. but I still rather use Snail-icide, then clean up and do water change as soon as snails were dead.

Frank was saying that snails cant cope with a pH much lower than 6.7-
True and good alternative!!
But if you dont know how to adjust or decrease your water perimaters, rapid and sudden spiking might occur with your PH levels, killing your Ps definately.

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I am just going to leave them in there as its just a feeder tank. We will see how bad it gets!

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Xenon said:
I think I am just going to leave them in there as its just a feeder tank. We will see how bad it gets!
It can be bad, X. One time, I had a 55 gal black back TruVu. BUt when I first bought the tank, it was a clear back. Thats how bad my snail problems got. :sad:

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
im telling you, get some decent sized american cichlids in the tank and then presto they will be gone, add a flowerhorn ... they are food driven, eat anything... may eat your P's though LOL

·
Beautiful One
8,799 Posts
a lot of different fish will eat snails.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
piranha45 said:
how do cichlids get around the shells, tho?
they eat em whole i believe... they have bigger mouths and apetites than you can imagine... get a flowerhorn they are real toublesome and aggresive eaters... may diturb P's though

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
you could also add silver dollers, clown loaches or many other fish that can fit the snail shells in their mouth - I reccomend silver dollers and they might even be able to co-exist with your piranhas - it has been done before

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
I have good experiences with Raphael Cats: they controlled a snail plague I had about half a year ago within days. Another good option are puffer fish: they love snails...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.