Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am sitting here waitting for them to get dropped off cann't wait i am getting 10 red's to put in 1 of my 135's. And not sure what to put in the other 135 yet. but my little rhome has his 55 already but not sure on what to do with the 45 or the other 55 yet but i finally got something 4 1 of the 135 no longer just sand plants and water

· Registered
564 Posts
10 rbp in a 135g? Can't you just put 5 in each 135g?
How big are they btw? Even if they are small right now, they will grow, and then a 135g will be a bit small?

Congrats btw

· Danse Macabre!
9,834 Posts
DepH said:
10 rbp in a 135g? Can't you just put 5 in each 135g?
How big are they btw? Even if they are small right now, they will grow, and then a 135g will be a bit small?

Congrats btw

[snapback]873261[/snapback]​
You can overstock a 135 with 10 red bellies (more than that even) it just involves alot more work and care on the part of the hobbyist.

· Breaki'n all day...
4,256 Posts
elTwitcho said:
You can overstock a 135 with 10 red bellies (more than that even) it just involves alot more work and care on the part of the hobbyist.
[snapback]873270[/snapback]​
what kind of work and care would you have to do in order to do that?
and how many could you overstock a 120?

· Danse Macabre!
9,834 Posts
Sheppard said:
and how many could you overstock a 120?
[snapback]873301[/snapback]​
You'd have to do alot more water changes, be alot more strict about feeding, be alot more watchful of aggression, basically everything you already do but taken to a much higher level.

This is Hollywood's overstocked tern tank, they're all basically full grown and you can see he's nowhere near 20 gallons per fish.

http://www.piranha-fury.com/pfury/index.ph...topic=66451&hl=

Now, don't confuse my showing Hollywood doing it with implying it's easy, because it is not, in fact it's extremely difficult. Hollywood is about as close as you're going to get to an expert hobbyist and I personally wouldn't try something as ambitious or difficult as what he's done, but it's just used as an example. With extra work, overstocking is very doable. In a tank where the fish are going to grow up together like that, the workload will gradually increase as the fish get bigger, and the owner will know if he's able to keep up with the amount of work involved or not. I wouldn't recommend someone going right out and buying 1 fish for each 10 gallons, but letting your fish grow into the tank is a good way to ease yourself into the overstocking experience and see if you're willing to keep up with the workload or not. It's for that reason that I don't like the idea of telling someone "you have too much in your tank" because they know better than the person telling them wether their setup is working or not.

· Danse Macabre!
9,834 Posts
henry 79 said:
what about a 60 gallon, can i put like 6 in it?
[snapback]873323[/snapback]​
Usually overstocking is only done on tanks 100 gallons or more, I definately wouldn't try and overstock a 60 gallon with 6 piranhas but that's just my opinion. I'm not an overstocking expert nor have I tried it myself, I just wanted to point out that it is doable but it is a whole lot more work. For the actual specifics you'd have to ask someone else, but I'm pretty sure 6 in a 60 is pushing it.

· I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
14,634 Posts
Sheppard said:
[snapback]873301[/snapback]​
More fish, means more maintanence. More food, better water quality, more water changes, bigger/better filterations, and not to mention learning and knowing how to keep all 10 Ps adaptable with each other in a small environment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.